Not If, But How CEOs Affect Product Innovation: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- James G. March, 1991. "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 71-87, February.
- Cesare Fracassi & Geoffrey Tate, 2012. "External Networking and Internal Firm Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 67(1), pages 153-194, February.
- Lyandres, Evgeny & Palazzo, Berardino, 2016. "Cash Holdings, Competition, and Innovation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(6), pages 1823-1861, December.
- Clint Chadwick & Janice F. Super & Kiwook Kwon, 2015. "Resource orchestration in practice: CEO emphasis on SHRM, commitment-based HR systems, and firm performance," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 360-376, March.
- Danny Miller & Jean-Marie Toulouse, 1986. "Chief Executive Personality and Corporate Strategy and Structure in Small Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1389-1409, November.
- Nelson, James, 2005. "Corporate governance practices, CEO characteristics and firm performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 197-228, March.
- Nguyen Ngoc Trung & Pham Thanh Nghi & Leona Little Soldier & Tran Viet Hoi & Won Joong Kim, 2014. "Leadership, Resource And Organisational Innovation: Findings From State And Non-State Enterprises," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 18(05), pages 1-30.
- Lu Jiao & Graeme Harrison & Maria Cadiz Dyball & Jinhua Chen, 2017. "CEO values, stakeholder culture, and stakeholder-based performance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 875-899, December.
- William J. Wales & Pankaj C. Patel & G. T. Lumpkin, 2013. "In Pursuit of Greatness: CEO Narcissism, Entrepreneurial Orientation, and Firm Performance Variance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(6), pages 1041-1069, September.
- William Ocasio, 2011. "Attention to Attention," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 1286-1296, October.
- Donald C. Hambrick & Albert A. Cannella, 2004. "CEOs who have COOs: contingency analysis of an unexplored structural form," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(10), pages 959-979, October.
- Yan Ling & Zeki Simsek & Michael Lubatkin & John F. Velga, 2008. "Transformational Leadership's Role in Promoting Corporate Entrepreneurship : Examining the CEO - TMT Interface," Post-Print hal-02276697, HAL.
- Yair Friedman & Abraham Carmeli & Asher Tishler, 2016. "How CEOs and TMTs Build Adaptive Capacity in Small Entrepreneurial Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(6), pages 996-1018, September.
- Gianpaolo Abatecola & Gabriele Mandarelli & Sara Poggesi, 2013. "The personality factor: how top management teams make decisions. A literature review," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 17(4), pages 1073-1100, November.
- William Ocasio, 1997. "Towards An Attention‐Based View Of The Firm," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(S1), pages 187-206, July.
- Joakim Wincent & Mats Westerberg, 2005. "Personal Traits Of Ceos, Inter-Firm Networking And Entrepreneurship In Their Firms: Investigating Strategic Sme Network Participants," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(03), pages 271-284.
- Lin, Chen & Lin, Ping & Song, Frank M. & Li, Chuntao, 2011. "Managerial incentives, CEO characteristics and corporate innovation in China's private sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 176-190, June.
- Marisa Smith & Marco Busi & Peter Ball & Robert Van Der Meer, 2008. "Factors Influencing An Organisation'S Ability To Manage Innovation: A Structured Literature Review And Conceptual Model," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(04), pages 655-676.
- Mary M. Crossan & Marina Apaydin, 2010. "A Multi‐Dimensional Framework of Organizational Innovation: A Systematic Review of the Literature," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(6), pages 1154-1191, September.
- Johan Frishammar, 2005. "Managing Information In New Product Development: A Literature Review," International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(03), pages 259-275.
- Hao-Chieh Lin & Trang Thi Ha Dang & Yu-Sheng Liu, 2016. "CEO transformational leadership and firm performance: A moderated mediation model of TMT trust climate and environmental dynamism," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 981-1008, December.
- David J. Teece & Gary Pisano & Amy Shuen, 1997. "Dynamic capabilities and strategic management," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(7), pages 509-533, August.
- Robert E. Quinn & John Rohrbaugh, 1983. "A Spatial Model of Effectiveness Criteria: Towards a Competing Values Approach to Organizational Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 363-377, March.
- Thong, J. Y. L. & Yap, C. S., 1995. "CEO characteristics, organizational characteristics and information technology adoption in small businesses," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 429-442, August.
- Sun, Jerry & Cahan, Steven F. & Emanuel, David, 2009. "Compensation committee governance quality, chief executive officer stock option grants, and future firm performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1507-1519, August.
- Yuhyung Shin, 2012. "CEO Ethical Leadership, Ethical Climate, Climate Strength, and Collective Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 108(3), pages 299-312, July.
- Eddy Ng & Greg Sears, 2012. "CEO Leadership Styles and the Implementation of Organizational Diversity Practices: Moderating Effects of Social Values and Age," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 105(1), pages 41-52, January.
- Robert Liden & Pingping Fu & Jun Liu & Lynda Song, 2016. "The influence of CEO values and leadership on middle manager exchange behaviors: A longitudinal multilevel examination," Nankai Business Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(1), pages 2-20, March.
- Serfling, Matthew A., 2014. "CEO age and the riskiness of corporate policies," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 251-273.
- Meng Xi & Shuming Zhao & Qin Xu, 2017. "The influence of CEO relationship-focused behaviors on firm performance: A chain-mediating role of employee relations climate and employees’ attitudes," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 173-192, March.
- Orens, Raf & Reheul, Anne-Mie, 2013. "Do CEO demographics explain cash holdings in SMEs?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 549-563.
- Tine Buyl & Christophe Boone & Walter Hendriks & Paul Matthyssens, 2011. "Top Management Team Functional Diversity and Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of CEO Characteristics," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 151-177, January.
- Alberto Galasso & Timothy S. Simcoe, 2011. "CEO Overconfidence and Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(8), pages 1469-1484, August.
- Fariborz Damanpour, 1996. "Organizational Complexity and Innovation: Developing and Testing Multiple Contingency Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 693-716, May.
- Qing Cao & Zeki Simsek & Hongping Zhang, 2010. "Modelling the Joint Impact of the CEO and the TMT on Organizational Ambidexterity," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(7), pages 1272-1296, November.
- Yucel, Ilhami & McMillan, Amy & Richard, Orlando C., 2014. "Does CEO transformational leadership influence top executive normative commitment?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1170-1177.
- Long-Zeng Wu & Ho Kwan & Frederick Yim & Randy Chiu & Xiaogang He, 2015. "CEO Ethical Leadership and Corporate Social Responsibility: A Moderated Mediation Model," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 130(4), pages 819-831, September.
- Leif Denti & Sven Hemlin, 2012. "Leadership And Innovation In Organizations: A Systematic Review Of Factors That Mediate Or Moderate The Relationship," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(03), pages 1-20.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate & Jon Yan, 2011. "Overconfidence and Early‐Life Experiences: The Effect of Managerial Traits on Corporate Financial Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(5), pages 1687-1733, October.
- A. Rashad Abdel-Khalik, 2014. "CEO Risk Preference and Investing in R&D," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 50(3), pages 245-278, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Lartey, Theophilus & Danso, Albert & Owusu-Agyei, Samuel, 2020. "CEOs' market sentiment and corporate innovation: The role of financial uncertainty, competition and capital intensity," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(C).
- Andreea N. Kiss & Dirk Libaers & Pamela S. Barr & Tang Wang & Miles A. Zachary, 2020. "CEO cognitive flexibility, information search, and organizational ambidexterity," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(12), pages 2200-2233, December.
- Li, Can, 2020. "Enhancing or inhibiting: The impact of investment in political ties on the link between firm innovation and productivity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(2).
- Bob Walrave & A Georges L Romme & Kim E van Oorschot & Fred Langerak, 2017. "Managerial attention to exploitation versus exploration: toward a dynamic perspective on ambidexterity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(6), pages 1145-1160.
- Jintong Tang & Zhi Tang & Birton J. Cowden, 2017. "Exploring the Relationship between Entrepreneurial Orientation, CEO Dual Values, and SME Performance in Stateâ€“Owned vs. Nonstateâ€“Owned Enterprises in China," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 41(6), pages 883-908, November.
- Julia Naranjo-Valencia & Ricardo Vidal-Patiño & Gregorio Calderón-Hernández, 2019. "Characterization of Innovation Research Published in Latin American Journals Indexed in WoS," International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(07), pages 1-38, November.
- Bastian GrÃ¼hn & Steffen Strese & Tessa C. Flatten & Nikolai A. Jaeger & Malte Brettel, 2017. "Temporal Change Patterns of Entrepreneurial Orientation: A Longitudinal Investigation of CEO Successions," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 41(4), pages 591-619, July.
- Lin, Hsing-Er & Hsu, I-Chieh & Hsu, Audrey Wenhsin & Chung, Hsi-Mei, 2020. "Creating competitive advantages: Interactions between ambidextrous diversification strategy and contextual factors from a dynamic capability perspective," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 154(C).
- Xiaoming He & Yaqun Yi & Zelong Wei, 2019. "New product development capabilities in China: the moderating role of TMT cooperative behavior," Asian Business & Management, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 73-97, April.
- Marcus T. Wolfe & Dean A. Shepherd, 2015. "What do you have to Say about That? Performance Events and Narrativesâ€™ Positive and Negative Emotional Content," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 39(4), pages 895-925, July.
- Anna S. Cui & Fang Wu, 2016. "Utilizing customer knowledge in innovation: antecedents and impact of customer involvement on new product performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Springer, vol. 44(4), pages 516-538, July.
- Bustinza, Oscar F. & Vendrell-Herrero, Ferran & Gomes, Emanuel, 2020. "Unpacking the effect of strategic ambidexterity on performance: A cross-country comparison of MMNEs developing product-service innovation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(6).
- O'Reilly, Charles A., III & Tushman, Michael L., 2013. "Organizational Ambidexterity: Past, Present and Future," Research Papers 2130, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Michaela Wrede & Tobias Dauth, 2020. "A temporal perspective on the relationship between top management team internationalization and firms' innovativeness," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 41(4), pages 542-561, June.
- Marshall S. Jiang & Jie Jiao & Zhouyu Lin & Jun Xia, 2021. "Learning through observation or through acquisition? Innovation performance as an outcome of internal and external knowledge combination," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 35-63, March.
- Céline Bérard & Séverine Saleilles, 2016. "Sustainability-driven entrepreneurship and high-growth SME: How to combine Davids’ and Goliaths’ worlds?," Post-Print halshs-01459141, HAL.
- Gounopoulos, Dimitrios & Pham, Hang, 2018. "Specialist CEOs and IPO survival," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 217-243.
- Sirén, Charlotta & Parida, Vinit & Frishammar, Johan & Wincent, Joakim, 2020. "Time and time-based organizing of innovation: Influence of temporality on entrepreneurial firms’ performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 23-32.
- Bhandari, Krishna Raj & Rana, Sudhir & Paul, Justin & Salo, Jari, 2020. "Relative exploration and firm performance: Why resource-theory alone is not sufficient?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 363-377.
- Hezun Li & Siri Terjesen & Timurs Umans, 2020. "Corporate governance in entrepreneurial firms: a systematic review and research agenda," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 43-74, January.
More about this item
KeywordsProduct innovation; new product development; chief executive officer; literature review;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:ijitmx:v:16:y:2019:i:03:n:s0219877019300015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim). General contact details of provider: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijitm/ijitm.shtml .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.