Export channel dynamics: an empirical investigation
We investigate the dynamics of export channel arrangements by modelling foreign operation method decisions as the interplay between factors that motivate switches and factors that deter them. Our model extends previous analyses by looking simultaneously at (1) no change of channel arrangement, (2) replacements of foreign intermediaries (within-mode shifts), and (3) integration of the sales function abroad (between-mode shifts). We use a multinomial logit model on longitudinal data from a sample of Danish exporters that had entered foreign markets through intermediaries. The results suggest that the decision to carry out within-mode shifts (i.e. to replace an existing intermediary) is driven by a different set of factors than the decision to switch to another foreign operation mode (i.e. to in-house operations). Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen J Kobrin & John Basek & Stephen Blank & Joseph La Palombara, 1980. "The Assessment and Evaluation of Noneconomic Environments by American Firms: A Preliminary Report," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 32-47, March.
- Calof, Jonathan L. & Beamish, Paul W., 1995. "Adapting to foreign markets: Explaining internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-131, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Levinthal, Daniel, 1988. "A survey of agency models of organizations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 153-185, March.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-40, September.
- Benito, Gabriel R. G. & Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 1999. "Foreign operation methods and switching costs: conceptual issues and possible effects," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 213-229, June.
- Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Al-Khalifa, Ali & Crick, Dave, 1997. "Manufacturers' understanding of their overseas distributors: the relevance of export involvement," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-163, April.
- Clark, Timothy & Pugh, Derek S. & Mallory, Geoff, 1997. "The process of internationalization in the operating firm," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 605-623, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:26:y:2005:i:3:p:159-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.