Adapting to foreign markets: Explaining internationalization
While much is known about the factors associated with the choice of an individual mode of distribution (e.g. export, sales branch, wholly owned production), we know little about why firms change modes and what explains the pattern of mode change. After interviewing 76 executives from 38 firms regarding 139 mode changes, that which best explained mode change was a modified stages model. Mode change tended to arise following changes in (A) constraints (resources or regulation) or (B) perceptions of market and mode costs and benefits. The ensuing pattern of internalization -- whether de-investment, single step stages type investment or multi step incremental investment -- depended on the nature of the stimuli, the firm's level of resources, experience and international skills, and the extent to which attitudes changed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1994. "Is There a Relationships Between a Geocentric Mind-Set and Multinational Strategy?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(3), pages 493-511, September.
- Calof, Jonathan L., 1993. "The mode choice and change decision process and its impact on international performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 97-120.
- Jonathan L Calof, 1994. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Behavior Revisited," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 367-387, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:4:y:1995:i:2:p:115-131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.