Edith Penrose, organisational economics and business strategy: an assessment and extension
The aim of this paper is to expound Penrose's contribution to the theory of the firm, and examine the contribution of her thinking to economics and business strategy, as well as to discuss some limitations and provide some generalizations of Penrose's work. We also discuss implications for managerial practice and public policy. We claim that Penrose's contribution was seminal. In recognizing the significance of organization to generate new knowledge she went well beyond the bounds of even her own agenda; from a theory of the growth of firms, to a theory of the generation of organizational knowledge and beyond. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loasby, Brian J, 1999. "The Significance of Penrose's Theory for the Development of Economics," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 31-45.
- Franco Modigliani, 1958. "New Developments on the Oligopoly Front," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 215.
- Penrose, Perran & Pitelis, Christos, 1999. "Edith Elura Tilton Penrose: Life, Contribution and Influence," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 3-22.
- Paul M. Romer, 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Richardson, G B, 1999. "Mrs Penrose and Neoclassical Theory," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 23-30.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:26:y:2005:i:2:p:67-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.