Edith Penrose, organisational economics and business strategy: an assessment and extension
The aim of this paper is to expound Penrose's contribution to the theory of the firm, and examine the contribution of her thinking to economics and business strategy, as well as to discuss some limitations and provide some generalizations of Penrose's work. We also discuss implications for managerial practice and public policy. We claim that Penrose's contribution was seminal. In recognizing the significance of organization to generate new knowledge she went well beyond the bounds of even her own agenda; from a theory of the growth of firms, to a theory of the generation of organizational knowledge and beyond. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franco Modigliani, 1958. "New Developments on the Oligopoly Front," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 215.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Richardson, G B, 1999. "Mrs Penrose and Neoclassical Theory," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 23-30.
- Penrose, Perran & Pitelis, Christos, 1999. "Edith Elura Tilton Penrose: Life, Contribution and Influence," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 3-22.
- Paul M. Romer, 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Loasby, Brian J, 1999. "The Significance of Penrose's Theory for the Development of Economics," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(0), pages 31-45.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:26:y:2005:i:2:p:67-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.