The Hopkinson tariff alternative to TOU rates in the Israel Electric Corporation
This paper determines three alternative Hopkinson tariffs to replace the Israel Electric Corporation's time-of-use (TOU) energy rate. The first apportions any system residual revenue requirement between customer classes, based on their respective historic peak demands. The second collects the same revenue as the current TOU rates. The third allocates generation revenue requirements for base-load and peaking generation plants in proportion to the base-load and peak-period energy consumption of each class, and allocates transmission and distribution revenue requirements in proportion to the connected load of each class. We show that a Hopkinson tariff with demand subscription is an attractive alternative to TOU rates, especially when quantity rationing is essential to maintaining a balance between the provision of energy and the demand for it. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 23 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chao, Hung-po & Wilson, Robert, 1987. "Priority Service: Pricing, Investment, and Market Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 899-916, December.
- Acton, Jan Paul, 1982. "An Evaluation of Economists' Influence on Electric Utility Rate Reforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 114-119, May.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1992. "Optimal Nonlinear Pricing and Contingent Contracts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 747-772, November.
- Chi-Keung Woo, 1991. "Capacity Rationing and Fixed Cost Collection," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 153-163.
- Roger E. Bohn & Michael C. Caramanis & Fred C. Schweppe, 1984. "Optimal Pricing in Electrical Networks over Space and Time," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(3), pages 360-376, Autumn.
- Paul L. Joskow, 1976. "Contributions to the Theory of Marginal Cost Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(1), pages 197-206, Spring.
- Joseph Vardi & Jacob Zahavi & Benjamin Avi-Itzhak, 1977. "Variable Load Pricing in the Face of Loss of Load Probability," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 270-288, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:23:y:2002:i:1:p:9-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.