Structural adjustment programmes and export supply response
This paper analyses three aspects of the export supply response to structural adjustment programmes supported by the World Bank. First, have programmes improved programme countries' export performance relative to non-programme countries? Second, have programmes contributed to re-orientation of production and build up of supply capacity? Third, have programmes resulted in greater export diversification? These questions are addressed by employing both traditional and less common techniques in the context of the 'before-after', 'with-without' and an original extended version of the 'modified control group' approaches. The empirical findings in this paper suggest that, although structural adjustment programmes have the expected effects in the short to medium run, they have failed to generate an appropriate supply response which could underpin lasting export expansion and diversification. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohsin S. Khan, 1990. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Fund-Supported Adjustment Programs," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 195-231, June.
- J. Saul Lizondo & Peter J. Montiel, 1989. "Contractionary Devaluation in Developing Countries: An Analytical Overview," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(1), pages 182-227, March.
- Morris Goldstein & Peter Montiel, 1986. "Evaluating Fund Stabilization Programs with Multicountry Data: Some Methodological Pitfalls (Evaluation des programmes de stabilisation du Fonds Ã partir de donnÃ©es sur divers pays: quelques Ã©cueils," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 304-344, June.
- Conners & Thomas A. Connors, 1979. "The apparent effects of recent IMF stabilization programs," International Finance Discussion Papers 135, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:10:y:1998:i:4:p:555-573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.