Comparing costing results in across country economic evaluations: the use of technology specific purchasing power parities
The number of economic evaluations conducted on a multinational basis is increasing. Therefore, techniques are required to compare the results of such studies in a meaningful manner. This paper explores different approaches to comparing across country cost data applied to a European study of dialysis therapy for end-stage renal disease. A price and volume index is created at the level of the individual health care technology and compared to an exchange rate conversion and published purchasing power parities (PPPs). Both exchange rate and PPP conversions when published rates are used fail to accurately reflect the true resource use of the applied health care example. These differences can be related to specific issues of input mix and price variation. Alternatively, the use of technology specific PPPs provided a more robust approach for international comparisons and also have the potential for use in multi-centre economic evaluations within the same country. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard J. Willke & Henry A. Glick & Daniel Polsky & Kevin Schulman, 1998. "Estimating country-specific cost-effectiveness from multinational clinical trials," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(6), pages 481-493.
- Koopmanschap, Marc A. & Touw, Karien C. R. & Rutten, Frans F. H., 2001. "Analysis of costs and cost-effectiveness in multinational trials," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 175-186, November.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Jonsson, Bengt, 1991. "Conversion factor instability in international comparisons of health care expenditure," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 227-234, July.
- Parkin, David & McGuire, Alistair & Yule, Brian, 1987. "Aggregate health care expenditures and national income : Is health care a luxury good?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-127, June.
- Kevin Schulman & Jennifer Burke & Michael Drummond & Linda Davies & Per Carlsson & Jans Gruger & Anthony Harris & Carlo Lucioni & Ramon Gisbert & Ted Llana & Eric Tom & Bernard Bloom & Richard Willke , 1998. "Resource costing for multinational neurologic clinical trials: methods and results," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(7), pages 629-638.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:15:y:1999:i:6:p:561-572 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:14:y:2005:i:1:p:93-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.