Perspectives on the 2003 and 2004 avian influenza outbreak in Bali and Lombok
In this article, background research for potential policies to contain avian influenza (AI) in Southeast Asia is provided. The author discusses (a) factors influencing spread of AI in Indonesia, (b) ways animal health institutions in Indonesia work, (c) risk associated with AI, and (d) a possible framework for analyzing effectiveness of public and private responses to the disease. The government of Indonesia (GOI) policies and responses to the outbreak in the eastern islands' poultry industry are described. Based on interviews, Indonesian farmer responses may be affected by five factors: (1) geographical location of the farm, (2) time since the outbreak began, (3) whether the farmer was a layer, broiler, or kampung (local) chicken producer, (4) size and development of the farm, and (5) contractual arrangements under which production is occurring. A bioeconomic framework suitable for analyzing these problems is developed and presented. [EconLit citations: I180, Q130] © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 435-450, 2006.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Mclnerney, 1996. "Old Economics For New Problems -Livestock Disease: Presidential Address," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 295-314.
- Yan, Dong & Jensen, Helen H. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2004.
"Output Supply And Input Demand System Of Commercial And Backyard Poultry Producers In Indonesia,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20266, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Helen H. Jensen & Dong Yan, 2004. "Output Supply and Input Demand System of Commercial and Backyard Poultry Producers in Indonesia," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp363, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Helen H. Jensen & Dong Yan, 2004. "Output Supply and Input Demand System of Commercial and Backyard Poultry Producers in Indonesia," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp363, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- McCarthy, Nancy & McDermott, John & Coleman, Paul, 2003. "Animal health and the role of communities: an example of trypanasomosis control options in Uganda," EPTD discussion papers 103, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Paul Winters & Alain De Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Kostas Stamoulis, 1998. "The role of agriculture in economic development: Visible and invisible surplus transfers," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 71-97.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:22:y:2006:i:4:p:435-450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.