Mean spillover effects in agricultural prices: The case of Greece
This article investigates the behavior of agricultural input prices, agricultural output prices, and retail food prices using the cointegration|error-correction methodology. The findings support “cost push” and “demand pull” theories, because disequilibrium at the input level is transmitted to the retail level, and vice versa, through the output level. The estimated error-correction coefficients and price responses indicate, first, imperfect price transmission among agricultural input, output, and retail food prices, and second, that agricultural output prices are more flexible than agricultural input and retail food prices. [EconLit citations: Q110; Q130]. Â© 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 19: 425-437, 2003.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Theodosios B. Palaskas, 1995. "Statistical Analysis Of Price Transmission In The European Union," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 61-69.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Meyers, William H., 1987. "Relative Prices and Money: Further Results for the United States," Staff General Research Papers 10856, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F, 1978. "Testing Price Equations for Stability across Spectral Frequency Bands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 869-81, July.
- Colman, David, 1985. "Imperfect Transmission of Policy Prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 12(3), pages 171-86.
- Bettendorf, L & Verboven, F, 2000. "Incomplete Transmission of Coffee Bean Prices: Evidence from the Netherlands," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Richard Tiffin & P. J. Dawson, 2000. "Structural breaks, cointegration and the farm-retail price spread for lamb," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(10), pages 1281-1286.
- Zanias, George P, 1998. "Inflation, Agricultural Prices and Economic Convergence in Greece," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 19-29.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:19:y:2003:i:4:p:425-437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.