The Sovereign Debt Crisis: Causes and Consequences
The quasi-global sovereign debt crisis is currently the focus of the political debate and of media attention. The origins of the crisis have long been considered too narrowly, with often one-dimensional solutions being proposed. A somewhat more comprehensive approach was first adopted at the EU Council Meetings of October and December 2011, thereby providing a major step towards the resolution of the most pressing problems. Tighter fiscal policy and more ample resources for the stabilisation fund are important moves. Nevertheless, a lasting solution must take a broader perspective and address certain deficiencies in the setup of EMU that were brought to the fore by the uneven economic performance of its members.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Cecchetti & Madhusudan Mohanty & Fabrizio Zampolli, 2011. "The real effects of debt," BIS Working Papers 352, Bank for International Settlements.
- anonymous, 2005. "Basel II survey documents finalized," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Win, pages 1-40.
- Franz R. Hahn, 2009.
"Financial Market Regulation,"
WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports),
WIFO, vol. 82(12), pages 951-954, December.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2005. "Annual Survey 2004," Working Papers 16, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2007. "Annual Survey 2006," Working Papers 20, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2002. "Annual Survey 2001," Working Papers 14, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003.
"Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1061, CESifo Group Munich.
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_394, Levy Economics Institute.
- Helmuth Cremer & ) & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth Transfer Taxation: A Survey," Public Economics 0311003, EconWPA.
- Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2003. "Wealth transfer taxation: a survey," DELTA Working Papers 2003-20, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Helmuth Cremer & ) & Pierre Pestieau, 2004. "Wealth Trasfer Taxation: A Survey," Public Economics 0401004, EconWPA.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2004. "Annual Survey 2002-2003," Working Papers 21, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2010. "Resolution of Banking Crises; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," IMF Working Papers 10/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Cruces, Juan J. & Trebesch, Christoph, 2013.
"Sovereign defaults: The price of haircuts,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20036, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Fritz Breuss, 2011. "EU-Wirtschaftsregierung: Eine notwendige aber nicht hinreichende Bedingung für das Überleben der Eurozone und des Euro," FIW Policy Brief series 012, FIW.
- Gunther Tichy, 2009. "Einige unkonventionelle Gedanken zum Leben nach der Krise," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 35(4), pages 501-513.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2012.
"Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008,"
676, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ponticelli, Jacopo & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2011. "Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," CEPR Discussion Papers 8513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Joachim Voth, 2011. "Austerity and anarchy: Budget cuts and social unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," Economics Working Papers 1342, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2012.
- Anonymous, 2002. "Results of Bulletin readers survey," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 65, september.
- repec:mpr:mprres:4946 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2012:i:2:p:95-107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.