Competition Policy in the Wake of the Economic Crisis
Scandinavian countries are pursuing a successful two-pronged economic policy strategy with a focus on future-orientated investment and competition which could serve as a model for Austria. While the need to close the gap in Austrian economic policy in terms of future-orientated investment has been recognised, the intensification of competition as a possible tool has been neglected. The strengthening of competition, in the framework of a consolidation of the public budget, represents an attractive economic policy option to increase growth and employment in Austria. Competitiveness could be sustainably strengthened through a proactive orientation of overall competition policy that phases out competition-distorting regulations and subsidies as well as through privatisations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Böheim & Heinz Handler & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2010.
"Options for Revenue-based Fiscal Consolidation,"
WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports),
WIFO, vol. 83(3), pages 269-283, March.
- Oliver Fritz & G. Streicher, 2008. "Trade Effects of Service Liberalization in the EU - Simulation of Regional Macroeconomic Effects for Austria," FIW Research Reports series I-005, FIW.
- Christopoulou, Rebekka & Vermeulen, Philip, 2008.
"Markups in the euro area and the US over the period 1981-2004: a comparison of 50 sectors,"
Working Paper Series
0856, European Central Bank.
- Rebekka Christopoulou & Philip Vermeulen, 2012. "Markups in the Euro area and the US over the period 1981–2004: a comparison of 50 sectors," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 53-77, February.
- Geroski, Paul, 2003. "The Evolution of New Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248896.
- V. Brandicourt & C. Schwellnus & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Austria's Potential for Trade in Services," FIW Research Reports series I-002, FIW.
- Lars Jonung & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2008. "The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000," European Economy - Economic Papers 350, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2008. "Trade Barriers in Services and Competitive Strengths in the Austrian Service Sector - An Analysis at the Detailed Sector Level," FIW Research Reports series I-007, FIW.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2010:i:4:p:349-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.