Competition Policy in the Wake of the Economic Crisis
Scandinavian countries are pursuing a successful two-pronged economic policy strategy with a focus on future-orientated investment and competition which could serve as a model for Austria. While the need to close the gap in Austrian economic policy in terms of future-orientated investment has been recognised, the intensification of competition as a possible tool has been neglected. The strengthening of competition, in the framework of a consolidation of the public budget, represents an attractive economic policy option to increase growth and employment in Austria. Competitiveness could be sustainably strengthened through a proactive orientation of overall competition policy that phases out competition-distorting regulations and subsidies as well as through privatisations.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2008. "Trade Barriers in Services and Competitive Strengths in the Austrian Service Sector - An Analysis at the Detailed Sector Level," FIW Research Reports series I-007, FIW.
- Christopoulou, Rebekka & Vermeulen, Philip, 2008.
"Markups in the euro area and the US over the period 1981-2004: a comparison of 50 sectors,"
Working Paper Series
0856, European Central Bank.
- Rebekka Christopoulou & Philip Vermeulen, 2012. "Markups in the Euro area and the US over the period 1981–2004: a comparison of 50 sectors," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 53-77, February.
- V. Brandicourt & C. Schwellnus & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Austria's Potential for Trade in Services," FIW Research Reports series I-002, FIW.
- Geroski, Paul, 2003. "The Evolution of New Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248896, July.
- Michael Böheim & Heinz Handler & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2010.
"Options for Revenue-based Fiscal Consolidation,"
WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports),
WIFO, vol. 83(3), pages 269-283, March.
- Lars Jonung & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2008. "The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000," European Economy - Economic Papers 350, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Oliver Fritz & G. Streicher, 2008. "Trade Effects of Service Liberalization in the EU - Simulation of Regional Macroeconomic Effects for Austria," FIW Research Reports series I-005, FIW.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2010:i:4:p:349-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.