The Relationship between Tax Increment Finance and Municipal Land Annexation
We use detailed information from Wisconsin municipalities on annexation and tax increment finance (TIF) activity over the period 1990–2003 to determine whether TIF has encouraged annexation. Declaring a recently annexed area a TIF district increases the fiscal benefit of annexation since it allows the municipality to direct the incremental revenue increases from overlying governments to economic development activities within the newly formed TIF district. Our analysis suggests that TIF is responsible for as much as 119 square miles, or 54%, of all the land area annexed over the 1990–2003 period in Wisconsin.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, John E., 1990. "Tax Increment Financing: Municipal Adoption and Growth," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(2), pages 155-63, June.
- John E. Anderson & Robert W. Wassmer, 2000. "Bidding for Business: The Efficacy of Local Economic Development Incentives in a Metropolitan Area," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number bb.
- Austin, D. Andrew, 1999. "Politics vs Economics: Evidence from Municipal Annexation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 501-532, May.
- Byrne, Paul F., 2005. "Strategic interaction and the adoption of tax increment financing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 279-303, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "Tax increment financing: a theoretical inquiry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 321-343, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:85:y:2009:i:4:p:598-613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.