Dowry and Wife's Welfare: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rao, Vijayendra, 1993.
"The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 666-677, August.
- Vijayendra Rao, "undated". "The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-6, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986.
"An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-685, May.
- Richard Smith & Richard Blundell, 1983. "An Exogeneity Test for the Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model With an Application to Labour Supply," Working Paper 546, Economics Department, Queen's University.
- William L. Parish & Robert J. Willis, 1993.
"Daughters, Education, and Family Budgets Taiwan Experiences,"
Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(4), pages 863-898.
- William Parish & Robert J. Willis, "undated". "Daughters, Education and Family Budgets: Taiwan Experiences," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 92-8a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Parish, W.L. & Willis, R.J., 1992. "Daughters, Education, and Family Budgets: Taiwan Experiences," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 92-8, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Applied Econometrics, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Cox, Donald & Jakubson, George, 1995.
"The connection between public transfers and private interfamily transfers,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 129-167, May.
- Donald Cox, 1987. "The Connection Between Public Transfers and Private Interfamily Transfers," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 156, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1956. "Social Indifference Curves," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 1-22.
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1978. "The Estimation of a Simultaneous Equation Generalized Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1193-1205, September.
- Lundberg, Shelly & Pollak, Robert A, 1993.
"Separate Spheres Bargaining and the Marriage Market,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 988-1010, December.
- Lundberg, S. & Pollak, R.A., 1991. "Separate Spheres Bargaining and the Marriage Market," Working Papers 91-08, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Lundberg, S. & Pollak, R.A., 1991. "Separate Spheres Bargaining and the Marriage Market," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 91-08, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Marjorie B. McElroy, 1990. "The Empirical Content of Nash-Bargained Household Behavior," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(4), pages 559-583.
- Jacoby, Hanan G, 1995. "The Economics of Polygyny in Sub-Saharan Africa: Female Productivity and the Demand for Wives in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 938-971, October.
- Cheung, Steven N S, 1972. "Enforcement of Property Rights in Children, and the Marriage Contract," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(326), pages 641-657, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Xu, Zeyu, 2007. "A survey on intra-household models and evidence," MPRA Paper 3763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keita, Moussa, 2011. "Influence de la négociation intra-ménage sur les dépenses d’éducation dans les ménages au Mali [Influence of intra-household bargaining on education expenditures in households in Mali]," MPRA Paper 57592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0200 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heggeness, Misty L., 2020.
"Improving child welfare in middle income countries: The unintended consequence of a pro-homemaker divorce law and wait time to divorce,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(C).
- Misty Heggeness, 2019. "Improving Child Welfare in Middle Income Countries: The Unintended Consequence of a Pro-Homemaker Divorce Law and Wait Time to Divorce," Opportunity and Inclusive Growth Institute Working Papers 27, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Malapit, Hazel Jean L., 2012. "Why do spouses hide income?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 584-593.
- Julia Bredtmann, 2014.
"The Intra-household Division of Labor: An Empirical Analysis of Spousal Influences on Individual Time Allocation,"
CEIS, vol. 28(1), pages 1-39, 03.
- Bredtmann, Julia, 2010. "The Intra-household Division of Labor – An Empirical Analysis of Spousal Influences on Individual Time Allocation," Ruhr Economic Papers 200, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- J. Gimenez-Nadal & Jose Molina, 2013. "Parents’ education as a determinant of educational childcare time," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 719-749, April.
- Katharina Mader & Alyssa Schneebaum, 2013. "Zur geschlechtsspezifischen Intrahaushaltsverteilung von Entscheidungsmacht in Europa," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 39(3), pages 361-403.
- Ms. Gabriela Inchauste, 2001. "Intrahousehold Allocation of Resources: The Bolivian Family," IMF Working Papers 2001/057, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Bargain & Miriam Beblo & Denis Beninger & Richard Blundell & Raquel Carrasco & Maria-Concetta Chiuri & François Laisney & Valérie Lechene & Nicolas Moreau & Michal Myck & Javier Ruiz-Castillo , 2006. "Does the Representation of Household Behavior Matter for Welfare Analysis of Tax-benefit Policies? An Introduction," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 99-111, June.
- Bargain, O. & Beblo, M. & Beninger, D. & Blundell, R. & Carrasco, R. & Chiuri, M-C. & Laisney, F. & Lechene, V. & Moreau, N. & Myck, M. & Ruiz-castillo, J. & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2006. "Does the representation of household behavior matter for welfare analysis of tax-benefit policies? An introduction," Other publications TiSEM 70a5784b-4a23-4a6e-9a2a-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Donni, Olivier, 2009. "Non-unitary Models of Household Behavior: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 4603, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Jacob, Arun, 2016. "Gender Bias in Educational Attainment in India : The Role of Dowry Payments," MPRA Paper 76338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rubalcava, L. & Thomas, D., 2000. "Family Bargaining and Welfare," Papers 00-10, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Luis Rubalcava & Duncan Thomas, 2000. "Family Bargaining and Welfare," Working Papers 00-10, RAND Corporation.
- Haizhen Mou & Stanley L. Winer, 2010. "Fiscal Incidence When Both Individual Welfare and Family Structure Matter: The Case of Subsidization of Home -care for the Elderly," ICER Working Papers 15-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Haizhen Mou & Stanley L. Winer, 2012. "Fiscal Incidence when both Individual Welfare and Family Structure Matter: The Case of Subsidization of Home-Care for the Elderly," CESifo Working Paper Series 3731, CESifo.
- Pa Black, 2004. "Poverty At The Household Level," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(3), pages 413-436, September.
- Tangka, F K & Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Shapiro, B I, 2000. "Gender roles and child nutrition in ruminant livestock production systems in developing countries – A critical review," Research Reports 182898, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Van Houtven, George, 1998. "Non-Market Valuation and the Household," Discussion Papers dp-98-31, Resources For the Future.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Van Houtven, George, 1998. "Non-Market Valuation and the Household," Working Papers 98-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, V. Kerry & van Houtven, George, 1998. "Non-Market Valuation and the Household," Discussion Papers 10455, Resources for the Future.
- Robert Pollak, 2003. "Gary Becker's Contributions to Family and Household Economics," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 111-141, January.
- Robert A. Pollak, 2002. "Gary Becker's Contributions to Family and Household Economics," NBER Working Papers 9232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duha T. Altindag & John Nunley & Alan Seals, 2017. "Child-custody reform and the division of labor in the household," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 833-856, September.
- John M. Nunley & Richard Alan Seals Jr., 2011. "Child-Custody Reform and the Division of Labor in the Household," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2011-14, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1998. "Efficiency in intrahousehold resource allocation," FCND discussion papers 55, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Grossbard-Shechtman, Shoshana, 2003. "A consumer theory with competitive markets for work in marriage," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 609-645.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:107:y:1999:i:4:p:786-808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Journals Division (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.