Ethnic Diversity and Preferences for Redistribution
This paper investigates the causal link between the ethnic diversity in a society and its inhabitants' preferences for redistribution. We exploit exogenous variation in immigrant shares stemming from a nationwide program placing refugees in municipalities throughout Sweden during 1985-94 and match data on refugee placement to panel survey data on inhabitants of the receiving municipalities. We find significant, negative effects of increased immigration on the support for redistribution. The effect is especially pronounced among high-income earners. We also establish that estimates from earlier studies failing to identify causal effects are likely to be positively biased (i.e., less negative).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Åslund, Olof, 2000.
"Ethnic Enclaves and the Economic Success of Immigrants - Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
Working Paper Series
2000:21, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Per-Anders Edin & Peter Fredriksson & Olof Åslund, 2003. "Ethnic Enclaves and the Economic Success of Immigrants—Evidence from a Natural Experiment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 329-357.
- Åslund, Olof & Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter, 2001. "Ethnic Enclaves and the Economic Success of Immigrants - Evidence from a Natural Experiment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2729, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Åslund, Olof, 2000. "Ethnic enclaves and the economic success of immigrants - evidence from a natural experiment," Working Paper Series 2000:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Woojin Lee & John Roemer & Karine Van der Straeten, 2006.
"Racism, Xenophobia, and Redistribution,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 446-454, 04-05.
- Woojin Lee & John E. Roemer & Karine Van Der Straeten, 2006. "Racism, Xenophobia and Distribution," Post-Print halshs-00754163, HAL.
- Woojin Lee & John Roemer & Karine van der Straeten, 2005. "Racism, xenophobia, and redistribution," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2005-15, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Edmark, Karin, 2008.
"Is there a "race-to-the-bottom" in the setting of welfare benefit levels? Evidence from a policy intervention,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1193-1209, June.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Edmark, Karin, 2004. "Is there a "Race-to-the-Bottom" in the Setting of Welfare Benefit Levels? Evidence from a Policy Intervention," Working Paper Series 2004:19, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Karin Edmark & Matz Dahlberg, 2004. "Is There a "Race-to-the-Bottom" in the Setting of Welfare Benefit Levels? Evidence from a Policy Intervention," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 473, Econometric Society.
- Claudia Senik & Holger Stichnoth & Karine Straeten, 2009.
"Immigration and Natives’ Attitudes towards the Welfare State: Evidence from the European Social Survey,"
Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement,
Springer, vol. 91(3), pages 345-370, May.
- Claudia Senik & Holger Stichnoth & Karine Van Der Straeten, 2008. "Immigration and natives' attitudes towards the welfare state: Evidence from the European Social Survey," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586256, HAL.
- Erzo F.P. Luttmer, 1999.
"Group Loyalty and the Taste for Redistribution,"
JCPR Working Papers
61, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- John E. Roemer & Lee Woojin & Karine Van Der Straeten, 2007. "Racism, Xenophobia, and Distribution: Multi-issue Politics in Advanced Democracies," Post-Print halshs-00754747, HAL.
- Alesina, Alberto & Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William, 1999.
"Public goods and ethnic divisions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2108, The World Bank.
- Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William & Alesina, Alberto, 1999. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," Scholarly Articles 4551797, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & William Easterly, 1997. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," NBER Working Papers 6009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christer Gerdes, 2011. "The Impact of Immigration on the Size of Government: Empirical Evidence from Danish Municipalities," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 74-92, 03.
- repec:pse:psecon:2008-43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & William Easterly, 1999. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1243-1284.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Ethnic Diversity and Preferences for Redistribution (JPE 2012) in ReplicationWiki
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:doi:10.1086/665800. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.