Immigration and natives' attitudes towards the welfare state: Evidence from the European Social Survey
Does immigration reduce natives' support for the welfare state? Evidence from the European Social Survey (2002/2003) suggests a more qualified relation. For Europe as a whole, there is only weak evidence of a negative association between the perceived presence of immigrants and natives' support for the welfare state. However, this weak average relationship masks considerable heterogeneity across countries. We distinguish two channels through which immigration could affect natives' support for the welfare state: a pure dislike of immigrants and concerns about the economic consequences of immigration. We find (1) that people who hold both negative views about immigrants generally tend to be less supportive of income redistribution, and (2) that they become even less supportive if they perceive a high share of immigrants in the population.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00586256|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Habyarimana, James P. & Humphreys, Macartan & Posner, Daniel N. & Weinstein, Jeremy, 2006. "Why Does Ethnic Diversity Undermine Public Goods Provision? An Experimental Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2272, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erzo F.P. Luttmer, 1999.
"Group Loyalty and the Taste for Redistribution,"
9902, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Bornhorst, Fabian & Ichino, Andrea & Schlag, Karl & Winter, Eyal, 2004. "Trust and Trustworthiness Among Europeans: South-North Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 4378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000.
4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bouckaert, Jan & Dhaene, Geert, 2004. "Inter-ethnic trust and reciprocity: results of an experiment with small businessmen," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 869-886, November.
- Chaim Fershtman & Uri Gneezy, 2001. "Discrimination in a Segmented Society: An Experimental Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(1), pages 351-377.
- Keely, Louise C. & Tan, Chih Ming, 2008.
"Understanding preferences for income redistribution,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 944-961, June.
- Chih Ming Tan & Louise C. Keely, 2004. "Understanding preferences for income redistribution," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 611, Econometric Society.
- Louise C. Keely & Chih Ming Tan, 2005. "Understanding Preferences For Income Redestribution," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0511, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Lind, Jo Thori, 2003.
"Fractionalization and the size of government,"
21/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Armin Falk & Christian Zehnder, 2007.
"Discrimination and In-group Favoritism in a Citywide Trust Experiment,"
IEW - Working Papers
318, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Falk, Armin & Zehnder, Christian, 2007. "Discrimination and In-Group Favoritism in a Citywide Trust Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 2765, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Haile, Daniel & Sadrieh, Karim & Verbon, Harrie, 2006.
"Cross-racial Envy and Underinvestment in South Africa,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21269, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Daniel Haile & Abdolkarim Sadrieh & Harrie A. A Verbon, 2006. "Cross-Racial Envy and Underinvestment in South Africa," CESifo Working Paper Series 1657, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00586256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.