Immigration and Natives’ Attitudes towards the Welfare State: Evidence from the European Social Survey
Does immigration reduce natives' support for the welfare state? Evidence from the European Social Survey (2002/2003) suggests a more qualified relation. For Europe as a whole, there is only weak evidence of a negative association between the perceived presence of immigrants and natives' support for the welfare state. However, this weak average relationship masks considerable heterogeneity across countries. We distinguish two channels through which immigration could affect natives' support for the welfare state: a pure dislike of immigrants and concerns about the economic consequences of immigration. We find (1) that people who hold both negative views about immigrants generally tend to be less supportive of income redistribution, and (2) that they become even less supportive if they perceive a high share of immigrants in the population.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Haile & Abdolkarim Sadrieh & Harrie A. A Verbon, 2006.
"Cross-Racial Envy and Underinvestment in South Africa,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1657, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haile, Daniel & Sadrieh, Karim & Verbon, Harrie, 2006. "Cross-racial Envy and Underinvestment in South Africa," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21269, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Falk, Armin & Zehnder, Christian, 2007.
"Discrimination and In-Group Favoritism in a Citywide Trust Experiment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2765, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Armin Falk & Christian Zehnder, 2007. "Discrimination and In-group Favoritism in a Citywide Trust Experiment," IEW - Working Papers 318, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bouckaert, Jan & Dhaene, Geert, 2004. "Inter-ethnic trust and reciprocity: results of an experiment with small businessmen," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 869-886, November.
- Chih Ming Tan & Louise C. Keely, 2004.
"Understanding preferences for income redistribution,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
611, Econometric Society.
- Keely, Louise C. & Tan, Chih Ming, 2008. "Understanding preferences for income redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 944-961, June.
- Louise C. Keely & Chih Ming Tan, 2005. "Understanding Preferences For Income Redestribution," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0511, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David I. Laibson & José A. Scheinkman & Christine L. Soutter, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 811-846.
- Jo Thori Lind, 2003.
"Fractionalization and the Size of Government,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1000, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chaim Fershtman & Uri Gneezy, 2001. "Discrimination in a Segmented Society: An Experimental Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(1), pages 351-377.
- Erzo F.P. Luttmer, 1999.
"Group Loyalty and the Taste for Redistribution,"
9902, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Habyarimana, James P. & Humphreys, Macartan & Posner, Daniel N. & Weinstein, Jeremy, 2006. "Why Does Ethnic Diversity Undermine Public Goods Provision? An Experimental Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2272, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bornhorst, Fabian & Ichino, Andrea & Schlag, Karl & Winter, Eyal, 2004. "Trust and Trustworthiness Among Europeans: South-North Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 4378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:91:y:2009:i:3:p:345-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.