Older men bounce back: the re-emergence of older male workers
Over the past five years, the labour force participation rate of older Australian men has risen after declining for over 25 years. In combination with ongoing increases in older women’s participation, the participation rate of older persons is now at its highest level on record. We describe some of the trends in older persons’ participation with a focus on older men and discuss some possible reasons why older men’s participation has reversed its long decline. We find that improved labour market conditions for older workers is the most likely explanation for the recent increase in participation but that the increase is supported by long-lived improvements in health and education.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6263 2111
Fax: +61 2 6273 2614
Web page: http://www.treasury.gov.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blau, David M, 1994. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Men," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 117-56, January.
- Steven Kennedy & David Hedley, 2003. "A Note on Educational Attainment and Labour Force Participation in Australia," Treasury Working Papers 2003-03, The Treasury, Australian Government, revised Nov 2003.
- Borland, J. & McDonald, J.T., 2000.
"Displaced workers in Australia 1984-1996: Macroeconomic Conditions and Structural Change,"
2000-10, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Borland, J. & McDonald, J.T., 2001. "Displaced Workers in Australia 1984-1996: Macroeconomic Conditions and Structural Change," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 824, The University of Melbourne.
- Merrilees, W J, 1983. "Pension Benefits and the Decline in Elderly Male Labour Force Participation," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(166), pages 260-70, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsy:journl:journl_tsy_er_2006_4_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The Treasury (Commonwealth of Australia))
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.