Accommodating covariates in receiver operating characteristic analysis
Classification accuracy is the ability of a marker or diagnostic test to discriminate between two groups of individuals, cases and controls, and is com- monly summarized by using the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. In studies of classification accuracy, there are often covariates that should be incorporated into the ROC analysis. We describe three ways of using covariate information. For factors that affect marker observations among controls, we present a method for covariate adjustment. For factors that aﬀect discrimination (i.e., the ROC curve), we describe methods for modeling the ROC curve as a function of covariates. Finally, for factors that contribute to discrimination, we propose combining the marker and covariate information, and we ask how much discriminatory accuracy improves (in incremental value) with the addition of the marker to the covariates. These methods follow naturally when representing the ROC curve as a summary of the distribution of case marker observations, standardized with respect to the control distribution. Copyright 2009 by StataCorp LP.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.stata-journal.com/subscription.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin W. McIntosh & Margaret Sullivan Pepe, 2002. "Combining Several Screening Tests: Optimality of the Risk Score," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 657-664, 09.
- Lori E. Dodd & Margaret S. Pepe, 2003. "Partial AUC Estimation and Regression," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 614-623, 09.
- Margaret Sullivan Pepe, 2000. "An Interpretation for the ROC Curve and Inference Using GLM Procedures," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 352-359, 06.
- Margaret S. Pepe & Gary Longton & Holly Janes, 2009. "Estimation and comparison of receiver operating characteristic curves," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Margaret Sullivan Pepe & Tianxi Cai, 2004. "The Analysis of Placement Values for Evaluating Discriminatory Measures," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 528-535, 06.
- P. J. Heagerty & M. S. Pepe, 1999. "Semiparametric estimation of regression quantiles with application to standardizing weight for height and age in US children," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(4), pages 533-551.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsj:stataj:v:9:y:2009:i:1:p:17-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)or (Lisa Gilmore)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.