La Croissance A-T-Elle Été Favorable Aux Pauvres En Égypte Sur La Période 1990-2004 ?
In response to the severe economic crisis at the end of the 1980s, the Egyptian authorities were forced to implement macroeconomic stabilization and structural adjustment plans at the beginning of the next decade. The implementation of these adjustment programs led to the revival and speeding-up of growth during the 1990s, and a slowdown in the growth rate during the first half of the 2000s. Meanwhile, however, relative inequalities in the distribution of consumption expenditures evolved in a not uniform way during the process of growth. This article aims at assessing to what extent (this recovery of) economic growth has been really beneficial to the poor in Egypt during the 1990-2004 period. It will be shown that growth has not been strictly pro-poor in monetary terms in this country during the whole period. Consequently, as the estimations of the inequality-growth trade-off index suggest in this paper, a redistributive policy in favor of the poor might be an effective tool for poverty reduction in Egypt.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nissanke, Machiko & Thorbecke, Erik, 2006. "Channels and policy debate in the globalization-inequality-poverty nexus," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1338-1360, August.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Hyun H. Son & Nanak Kakwani, 2004. "Economic growth and poverty reduction: initial conditions matter," Working Papers 2, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Poverty and Economic Growth with Application to Cote d'Ivoire," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(2), pages 121-139, June.
- Stephan Klasen, 2003.
"In Search of The Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth ?,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
096, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Stephan Klasen, 2004. "In Search of the Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth?," Macroeconomics 0401005, EconWPA.
- Sami Bibi, 2006. "Growth with Equity is Better for the Poor," Cahiers de recherche 0640, CIRPEE.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2004. "Pro-poor growth : A primer," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3242, The World Bank.
- El-Laithy, Heba & Lokshin, Michael & Banerji, Arup, 2003. "Poverty and economic growth in Egypt, 1995-2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3068, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2003. "Measuring pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 93-99, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:35:y:2012:p:37-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.