Croissance Et Repartition Des Revenus En Turquie (1994-2005) : Quel Impact Sur La Pauvrete ?
Turkey featured a somewhat paradoxical evolution in income distribution between 1994 and 2005. During 1994-2002 (marked by the 2000-2001 financial crisis), growth was pro-poor in the sense that the income of the poor decreased less than the income of the well-off. Between 2002 and 2005, the Turkish economy rebounded, but growth was mainly beneficial to the middle class. Between 1994 and 2005, growth was pro-poor again. However, this does not mean that the well-being of the poor actually increased, while their expenditure on basic goods and services did increase, notably on education. These changes are hard to explain as they result from many different factors, namely changes in the social protection system, in the assistance to the poor, but also low job creation in the formal sector.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriela Inchauste & Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano, 2003.
"Argentina; Macroeconomic Crisis and Household Vulnerability,"
IMF Working Papers
- Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano & Gabriela Inchauste, 2007. "Argentina: Macroeconomic Crisis and Household Vulnerability ," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 92-106, 02.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007.
"Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
160, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 725, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Working Papers DT/2007/12, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Grimm, Michael & Gräb, Johannes, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Financial Crises, Poverty, and Income Distribution," IMF Working Papers 02/4, .
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther & Postel-Vinay, Gilles & Watts, Tim, 2007. "Long Run Impacts of Income Shocks: Wine and Phylloxera in 19th Century France," CEPR Discussion Papers 6140, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:34:y:2011:p:19-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.