On the Dynamics of the Greek Twin Deficits: Empirical evidence over the period 1960 – 2007
One of the most important open macroeconomic issues, during the current global economic recession, concerns the sustainability of persistent budget and trade deficits as well as possible interactions between them. These deficits are most crucial due to severe debt servicing costs, faced by today's economies despite their development level. This paper presents time series evidence over the period 1960 up to 2007, using data of the Greek Economy. Our results confirm 'weak' sustainability of both deficits and evidence in favor of the Keynesian rationale regarding the 'twin deficits hypothesis'
Volume (Year): 2 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://ijbesar.teiemt.gr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Normandin, Michel, 1999.
"Budget deficit persistence and the twin deficits hypothesis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 171-193, October.
- Michel Normandin, 1994. "Budget Deficit Persistence and the Twin Deficits Hypothesis," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 31, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Michel Normandin, 1996. "Budget Deficit Persistence and the Twin Deficits Hypothesis," Macroeconomics 9607001, EconWPA.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Haug, Alfred A, 1991. "Cointegration and Government Borrowing Constraints: Evidence for the United States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(1), pages 97-101, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Tanner, Evan & Liu, Peter, 1994. "Is the Budget Deficit "Too Large"?: Some Further Evidence," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(3), pages 511-518, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tei:journl:v:2:y:2009:i:2:p:9-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostas Stergidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.