Evaluating the Maastricht Convergence Criteria for New Prospective European Union Members
This paper aims to assess the macroeconomic condition of the four new prospective members, which are Turkey, Croatia, Bulgaria, and Romania, depending on four Maastricht Convergence Criteria in order to determine which candidate is ready to join EMU. We use cointegration approach to analyze cointegrating relations among inflation rates, interest rate, deficit-to-GDP, and debt-to-GDP ratios of four candidates in relation to Germany. Bounds Testing and Engle-Granger Cointegration Approach are applied to all criteria to test convergence. None of the convergence criteria for Turkey and Romania in relation to Germany has been achieved. On the other hand, there is evidence of nominal convergence between Croatia and Germany in terms of deficit-to-GDP ratio and interest rates. Also, there is cointegration between deficit-to-GDP ratio of Bulgaria and that of Germany.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kutan, Ali M. & Yigit, Taner M., 2005. "Real and nominal stochastic convergence: Are the new EU members ready to join the Euro zone?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-400, June.
- Tang, Tuck Cheong, 2003. "Japanese aggregate import demand function: reassessment from the 'bounds' testing approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 419-436, December.
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M., 2001.
"The convergence of monetary policy between candidate countries and the European Union,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 215-231, September.
- Brada, Josef C. & Ktan, Ali M., 2001. "The convergence of monetary policy between candidate countries and the European Union," ZEI Working Papers B 07-2001, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Karfakis, C. J. & Moschos, D.M., 1990.
"Interest Rate Linkages Within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis,"
144, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Karfakis, Costas J & Moschos, Demetrios M, 1990. "Interest Rate Linkages within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(3), pages 389-394, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Josef C. Brada & Ali M. Kutan, 2002.
"Balkan and Mediterranean Candidates for European Union Membership: The Convergence of their Monetary Policy with that of the European Central Bank,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
456, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Josef Brada, Ali M. Kutan, 2002. "Balkan and Mediterranean Candidates for European Union Membership: The Convergence of Their Monetary Policy with That of the European Central Bank," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 31-44, July.
- Brada, Josef C. & Kutan, Ali M., 2001. "Balkan and Mediterranean candidates for European Union membership: The convergence of their monetary policy with that of the European Central Bank," ZEI Working Papers B 21-2001, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- repec:syd:wpaper:144 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haug, Alfred A. & MacKinnon, James G. & Michelis, Leo, 2000. "European Monetary Union: a cointegration analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 419-432, June.
- Hafer, R. W. & Kutan, Ali M. & Su Zhou, 1997. "Linkage in EMS term structures: evidence from common trend and transitory components," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 595-607, August.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 1999. "An aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 465-472.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:cebare:v:7:y:2007:i:1:p:13-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()or () or ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.