Domestic violence against women, and their economic dependence: A count data analysis
In examining the relation between violence against women and women's economic dependence, existing literature treats the incidents of violence either as a binary or as a continuous variable. However, the incidents of violence is a count variable and, quite often, data on the number of violent incidents is categorized. This paper estimates the relation between violence against women and economic dependence by using a categorized negative binomial regression model. The model is suitable for categorized count data and thus provides a more accurate estimation of the relation than what is provided in the literature. Data analyses in this paper show that less economic dependence of women is associated with less violence.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1995. " Recent Developments in Count Data Modelling: Theory and Application," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Delgado, M.A. & Kniesner, T.J., 1994.
"Count Data Models with Viriance of Unknown Form - An Application to a Hedonic Model of Worker Absenteeism,"
94-011, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Thomas J. Kniesner, 1997. "Count Data Models With Variance Of Unknown Form: An Application To A Hedonic Model Of Worker Absenteeism," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 41-49, February.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-46, July-Aug..
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:16:y:2004:i:4:p:457-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.