Geographical agglomeration: Ellison and Glaeser's index applied to the case of Belgian manufacturing industry
Bertinelli L. and Decrop J. (2005) Geographical agglomeration: Ellison and Glaeser's index applied to the case of Belgian manufacturing industry, Regional Studies 39 , 567-583. The aim of this study is to provide a comprehensive discussion of the use of the Ellison and Glaeser index and subsequently to carry out a descriptive analysis of the geographical concentration of the manufacturing sector in Belgium. To assess the degree of concentration, individual plant data on wage and salary earners are used, with a relatively fine geographical breakdown (districts and townships). It is shown that more than 30% of the industries are excessively agglomerated.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998.
"Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999. "Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2004.
"The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 533-564, September.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 2000. "The Geographic Distribution of Production Activity in the UK," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1397, Econometric Society.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2002. "The Geographical Distribution of Production Activity in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 3627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 1999. "The geographic distribution of production activity in the UK," IFS Working Papers W99/26, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2002. "Geographic Concentration and Establishment Scale," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 682-690, November.
- Duranton, Gilles & Henry G Overman, 2003.
"Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
69, Royal Economic Society.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1077-1106.
- Duranton, Gilles & Overman, Henry G, 2002. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry Overman, 2002. "Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0540, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Testing for localisation using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20071, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for localization using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & BERTINELLI, Luisito & STROBL, Eric & TEIXEIRA, Antonio Carlos, 2003.
"Agglomeration economies and the location of industries: a comparison of three small European countries,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003067, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barrios, Salvador & Bertinelli, Luisito & Eric, Strobl & Antonio Carlos, Teixeira, 2003. "Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Industries: A comparison of Three small European Countries," MPRA Paper 5704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Björn Alecke & Christoph Alsleben & Frank Scharr & Gerhard Untiedt, 2003. "Evidence on the Geographic Concentration of German Industries: Do High-Tech Clusters Really Matter?," Discussion Papers in Economics 03_04, University of Dortmund, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:5:p:567-583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.