Durations, volume and the prediction of financial returns in transaction time
Traditional microstructural theories of asset pricing emphasize the role of volume as a trend indicator. With the availability of large transaction data sets, one has started recently to incorporate more information of the trades, such as the time between trades, to describe the multivariate dynamics of transactions. Without knowing a priori the relation between the observed components of a trade—price, duration between trades, and volume—one may follow the principle of 'letting the data speak for themselves'. The goal of this paper is to evaluate the informational content of both volume and durations to predict transaction returns using explorative non-parametric methods. The empirical results for transaction data of IBM stock prices confirm the role of volume as a trend indicator. After a sell (buy) expected returns are decreasing (increasing) with volume and increasing (decreasing) with durations. A.forecasting exercise shows that the superiority of the non-parametric model over simple parameterizations carries over to out-of-sample prediction.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RQUF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, "undated". "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alfonso Dufour & Robert F. Engle, 2000. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2467-2498, December.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle, 2000. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell, Jeffrey & Engle, Robert F, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-Valued Irregularly-Spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt00m2c5hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Jeffrey R. Russell & Robert F. Engle, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-valued Irregularly-spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," CRSP working papers 470, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5478 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV & L. YANG, 1996. "Nonparametric Vector Autoregression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,61, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)