Instrumental Variable Estimators for Binary Outcomes
Instrumental variables (IVs) can be used to construct estimators of exposure effects on the outcomes of studies affected by nonignorable selection of the exposure. Estimators that fail to adjust for the effects of nonignorable selection will be biased and inconsistent. Such situations commonly arise in observational studies, but are also a problem for randomized experiments affected by nonignorable noncompliance. In this article, we review IV estimators for studies in which the outcome is binary, and consider the links between different approaches developed in the statistics and econometrics literatures. The implicit assumptions made by each method are highlighted and compared within our framework. We illustrate our findings through the reanalysis of a randomized placebo-controlled trial, and highlight important directions for future work in this area.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 107 (2012)
Issue (Month): 500 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/UASA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/UASA20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua D. Angrist, 2000.
"Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angrist, Joshua D, 2001. "Estimations of Limited Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 2-16, January.
- Joshua Angrist, 1999. "Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," Working papers 99-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Abadie, Alberto, 2003. "Semiparametric instrumental variable estimation of treatment response models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 231-263, April.
- S. Vansteelandt & E. Goetghebeur, 2003. "Causal inference with generalized structural mean models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(4), pages 817-835.
- Richard W. Blundell & James L. Powell, 2004.
"Endogeneity in Semiparametric Binary Response Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 655-679, 07.
- Richard W. Blundell & James L. Powell, 2004. "Endogeneity in Semiparametric Binary Response Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 655-679.
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in semiparametric binary response models," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Imbens, Guido W & Angrist, Joshua D, 1994.
"Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 467-75, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens, 1995. "Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Mark J. van der Laan & Alan Hubbard & Nicholas P. Jewell, 2007. "Estimation of treatment effects in randomized trials with non-compliance and a dichotomous outcome," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(3), pages 463-482.
- Tan, Zhiqiang, 2006. "Regression and Weighting Methods for Causal Inference Using Instrumental Variables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1607-1618, December.
- Goldberger, Arthur S, 1972. "Structural Equation Methods in the Social Sciences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(6), pages 979-1001, November.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2005. "An IV Model of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 245-261, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jnlasa:v:107:y:2012:i:500:p:1638-1652. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.