A simple investigation of the Granger-causality test in integrated-cointegrated VAR systems
The size and power of various generalization tests for the Granger-causality in integrated-cointegrated VAR systems are considered. By using Monte Carlo methods, properties of eight versions of the test are studied in two different forms, the standard form and the modified form by Dolado & Lutkepohl (1996) in a study confined to properties of the Wald test only. In their study as well as in ours, both the standard and the modified Wald tests are shown to perform badly especially in small samples. We find, however, that the corrected LR tests exhibit correct size even in small samples. The power of the test is higher when the true VAR(2) model is estimated, and the modified test loses information by estimating the extra coefficients. The same is true when considering the power results in the VAR(3) model, and the power of the tests is somewhat lower than those in the VAR(2).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolado, J.J. & Lutkepohl, H., 1994.
"Making Wald Tests Work for Cointegrated Var Systems,"
9424, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan J. DOLADO & Helmut LÜTKEPOHL, 1994. "Making Wald Tests Work for Cointegrated Var Systems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1994,44, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
819R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1987.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1989. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 95-131, April.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1993. "The spurious effect of unit roots on vector autoregressions : An analytical study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 229-255, October.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Hiro Y. Toda & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1991.
"Vector Autoregression and Causality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
977, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996.
"Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation,"
31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997. "Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1995.
"Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1023-78, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1047, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:27:y:2000:i:8:p:1021-1031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.