Poverty, undernutrition and vulnerability in rural India: role of rural public works and food for work programmes
This paper analyses the effects of access to Rural Public Works (RPW) or Food for Work programme (FFW) on consumption poverty, vulnerability and undernutrition in India using the large household data sets constructed by the National Sample Survey for 1993 and 2004. The treatment-effects model is used to take account of sample selection bias in evaluating the effects of RPW in 1993 or FFW in 2004 on poverty. We have found significant and negative effects of participation in RPW and the Food for Work Programme on poverty, undernutrition (e.g. protein) and vulnerability in 1993 and 2004.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2008.
"Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy,"
ASARC Working Papers
2008-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2009. "Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy," Working Papers id:1907, eSocialSciences.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992. "Workfare versus Welfare Incentive Arguments for Work Requirements in Poverty-Alleviation Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 249-261, March.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Gaiha, Raghav & Sharma, Anurag, 2009. "Calorie and Micronutrient Deprivation and Poverty Nutrition Traps in Rural India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 982-991, May.
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha, 2003. "Determinants of Undernutrition in Rural India," ASARC Working Papers 2003-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha, 2003. "Determinants of Undernutrition in Rural India," Departmental Working Papers 2003-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai, 2009. "Vulnerability and Poverty in Bangladesh," ASARC Working Papers 2009-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi Imai, 2009. "Vulnerability and Poverty in Bangladesh," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0905, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai, 2010. "Vulnerability and poverty in Bangladesh," Working Papers id:2675, eSocialSciences.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Hoddinott, John & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2003. "Methods for microeconometric risk and vulnerability assessments," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 29138, The World Bank.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1997. "Nutritional status, the capacity for work, and poverty traps," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Poverty In Rural India: Caste And Tribe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 50-70, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)