Financial Innovations And Demand For United States M1 And M2 Components
This paper investigates the effects OF THE Depository Institution Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980 on the demand function of the United States M1, M2 and their components. The empirical tests are conducted using monthly data from January 1959 to June 1997 and the Johansen cointegration procedure. Results show that the stated monetary act of 1980 considerably affected the income and interest rate demand elasticities of both M1, M2 and their components. Results show a fall in the M1 interest rate elasticity indicating M1 as possibly a more effective monetary policy too after 1980. Results fail to show a stationary M2 demand function during the 1980s and 1990s after the 1980 monetary act. The rate of adjustment of the monetary variables towards the long-run equilibrium is also affected by the 1980 Act. [E41, E44]
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahmet Baytas & Alvin L. Marty, 1989. "The Interest Elasticity of Money Demand: Further Evidence," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 107-111, Apr-Jun.
- Jose De Gregorio & Peter Wickham & Patricio Arrau & Carmen Reinhart, 1991.
"The Demand for Money in Developing Countries; Assessing the Role of Financial innovation,"
IMF Working Papers
91/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Wickham, Peter, 1995. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 317-340, April.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries : assessing the role of financial innovation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 721, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1995. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 14096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 13691, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Cagan, Phillip & Schwartz, Anna Jacobson, 1975.
"Has the Growth of Money Substitutes Hindered Monetary Policy?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 137-59, May.
- Phillip Cagan & Anna J. Schwartz, 1987. "Has the Growth of Money Substitutes Hindered Monetary Policy?," NBER Chapters, in: Money in Historical Perspective, pages 209-233 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. W. Hafer, 1984. "The money-GNP link: assessing alternative transaction measures," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 19-27.
- William Poole, 1987.
"Monetary Policy Lessons of recent Inflation and Disinflation,"
NBER Working Papers
2300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poole, William, 1988. "Monetary Policy Lessons of Recent Inflation and Disinflation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 73-100, Summer.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose, 1993. "Financial Innovation and Money Demand: Application to Chile and Mexico," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 524-30, August.
- Donald D. Hester, 1981. "Innovations and Monetary Control," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 141-200.
- Gauger, Jean, 1992. "Portfolio Redistribution Impacts within the Narrow Monetary Aggregate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(2), pages 239-57, May.
- Barnett, William A, 1997.
"Which Road Leads to Stable Money Demand?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1171-85, July.
- David A. Dickey & Dennis W. Jansen & Daniel L. Thornton, 1991. "A primer on cointegration with an application to money and income," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 58-78.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- John A. Tatom, 1990. "The effects of financial innovations on checkable deposits, M1 and M2," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 37-57.
- Glennon, Dennis & Lane, Julia, 1996. "Financial innovation, new assets, and the behavior of money demand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 207-225, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:16:y:2002:i:1:p:73-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.