The Effects of Inflation and Exchange Rate Policies on Direct Investment to Developing Countries
This study focuses on the effects of inflation and exchange rate policy on direct investment flows to developing countries. We find that inflation does have a substantial negative effect on capital inflows. Our estimates indicate that this effect can be significantly reduced, but not eliminated, by following exchange rate policies which avoid substantial overvaluation of the currency. [F 30]
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
- Agenor, P.R., 1992. "Parallel Currency Markets in Developing Countries : Theory, Evidence, and Policy Implications," Princeton Studies in International Economics 188, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1990. "Capital Flows, Foreign Direct Investment, and Debt-Equity Swaps in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cukierman, Alex & Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1992.
"Seigniorage and Political Instability,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 537-55, June.
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kamin, Steven B., 1993. "Devaluation, exchange controls, and black markets for foreign exchange in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 151-169, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:12:y:1998:i:1:p:95-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.