Estimation of global systematic risk for securities listed in multiple markets
In this era of rapid globalization of financial markets there has been a substantial increase in cross-listings of stocks in foreign and regional capital markets. As many as a third to a half of the stocks in some major exchanges are foreign listed. The multiple listings of stocks has major implications for the concept of systematic risk. This paper demonstrates that the estimator for systematic risk and the methodology itself changes when stocks are listed in multiple markets. The paper suggests general procedures, using maximum information from the multiple markets, to obtain the estimator of beta under a variety of assumptions about the error terms of the market models in the different capital markets. The assumptions pertain both to the volatilities of the abnormal returns in each market, and to the relationship between the markets.
Volume (Year): 7 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Cornell, Bradford & Dietrich, J. Kimball, 1978. "Mean-Absolute-Deviation versus Least-Squares Regression Estimation of Beta Coefficients," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 123-131, March.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran & Gary C Biddle, 1995. "Foreign Listing Location: A Study of MNCs and Stock Exchanges in Eight Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 319-341, June.
- Clarkson, Peter M & Thompson, Rex, 1990. " Empirical Estimates of Beta When Investors Face Estimation Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 431-53, June.
- Chan, Louis K. C. & Lakonishok, Josef, 1992. "Robust Measurement of Beta Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 265-282, June.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran, 1988. "An Empirical Study of Selected Factors Influencing the Decision to List on Foreign Stock Exchanges," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 101-127, March.
- Eubank, Arthur A, Jr & Zumwalt, J Kenton, 1979. "An Analysis of the Forecast Error Impact of Alternative Beta Adjustment Techniques and Risk Classes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(3), pages 761-76, June.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Eun, Cheol S. & Janakiramanan, S., 1988. "International Listings and Stock Returns: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 135-151, June.
- Fisher, Lawrence & Kamin, Jules H., 1985. "Forecasting Systematic Risk: Estimates of “Raw” Beta that Take Account of the Tendency of Beta to Change and the Heteroskedasticity of Residual Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 127-149, June.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1985.
"Risk and Return: Consumption Beta Versus Market Beta,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
738, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Shapiro, Matthew D, 1986. "Risk and Return: Consumption Beta versus Market Beta," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 452-59, August.
- Chen, Son-Nan, 1981. "Beta Nonstationarity, Portfolio Residual Risk and Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 95-111, March.
- Jayaraman, Narayanan & Shastri, Kuldeep & Tandon, Kishore, 1993. "The impact of international cross listings on risk and return : The evidence from American depository receipts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 91-103, February.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:7:y:2001:i:2:p:117-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.