Integrating decomposition approaches for the analysis of temporal changes in economic structure: an application to Chicago's economy from 1980 to 2000
This paper presents an attempt to integrate two flow decomposition methods to analyse temporal changes in a region's economic structure. The two methods of structural analysis are push-pull decomposition analysis and structural Q-analysis. Push-pull analysis presents a quasi-optimization decomposition of a set of matrices with actual intersectoral economic flows into a weighted set of matrices, while structural Q-analysis provides a form in which the structure of these decomposed flows can be considered. The paper provides an expository application to Chicago's economic structure over the period of 1980 to 2000, to reveal a complementary perspective of hollowing-out the production process in the Chicago economy that was identified in previous studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wier, Mette & Hasler, Berit, 1999. "Accounting for nitrogen in Denmark--a structural decomposition analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 317-331, August.
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 1998. "Temporal Leontief Inverse," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 89-114, March.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 1999. "Structural Change in Chile: 1960-90," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 301-320.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Alex R. Hoen & Bart Los, 2000. "Labor Productivity in Western Europe 1975-1985: An Intercountry, Interindustry Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 425-452.
- Kazumi Hitomi & Yasuhide Okuyama & Geoffrey Hewings & Michael Sonis, 2000. "The Role of Interregional Trade in Generating Change in the Regional Economies of Japan, 1980-1990," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 515-537.
- Yasuhide Okuyama & Michael Sonis & Geoffrey Hewings, 2006. "Typology of structural change in a regional economy: a temporal inverse analysis," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 133-153.
- Henrik Jacobsen, 2000. "Energy Demand, Structural Change and Trade: A Decomposition Analysis of the Danish Manufacturing Industry," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 319-343.
- Yasuhide Okuyama & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings & Michael Sonis & Philip R. Israilevich, 2002. "An Economic Analysis of Biproportional Properties in an Input-Output System," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 361-387.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:17:y:2005:i:3:p:297-315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.