A variance equality test of the ICAPM on Philippine stocks: post-Asian financial crisis period
The study examines whether Fama's discrete version of Merton's intertemporal CAPM (ICAPM) can explain the negative market risk premium and the cross-sectional variability of Philippine stock returns after the onset of the Asian financial crisis in July 1997. The change in foreign exchange rate, in addition to the change in market risk premium, is used as a state variable of hedging concern to investors. The relationship of Fama's multifactor minimum-variance (MMV) portfolio to the Markowitz minimum-variance (MV) portfolio is characterized in terms of the equality of the return variances for the same expected return. A test due to Basak et al. (2002) is then used to verify the equality of the return variance of a derived tangency portfolio along the MMV frontier to an MV portfolio with the same sample mean return. The results do not reject the ICAPM during the period covered by the study. Thus, the model provides a plausible explanation both for the cross-sectional variability of stock returns and the negative market risk premium within the framework of mean-variance optimizing investors.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Brennan & Ashley W. Wang & Yihong Xia, 2004. "Estimation and Test of a Simple Model of Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1743-1776, 08.
- Rodolfo Aquino, 2005. "Exchange rate risk and Philippine stock returns: before and after the Asian financial crisis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 765-771.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1987. " Mimicking Portfolios and Exact Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-888, September.
- Robert Faff & Howard Chan, 1998. "A multifactor model of gold industry stock returns: evidence from the Australian equity market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 21-28.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan, 1987. "The Relation between Mean-Variance Efficiency and Arbitrage Pricing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 97-112, January.
- Wenshwo Fang, 2002. "The effects of currency depreciation on stock returns: evidence from five East Asian economies," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 195-199.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1991. "The Pricing of Exchange Rate Risk in the Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 363-376, September.
- Amalia Di Iorio & Robert Faff, 1999. "An international market model and exchange rate risk: Australian evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 77-80.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1996. "Multifactor Portfolio Efficiency and Multifactor Asset Pricing," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(04), pages 441-465, December.
- Basak, Gopal & Jagannathan, Ravi & Sun, Guoqiang, 2002. "A direct test for the mean variance efficiency of a portfolio," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1195-1215, July.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-1152, September.
- Manolis Kavussanos & Stelios Marcoulis & Angelos Arkoulis, 2002. "Macroeconomic factors and international industry returns," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 923-931.
- Merton, Robert C., 1972. "An Analytic Derivation of the Efficient Portfolio Frontier," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 1851-1872, September.
- Priestley, Richard & Odegaard, Bernt Arne, 2004. "Exchange rate regimes and the price of exchange rate risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 181-188, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:38:y:2006:i:3:p:353-362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.