Regional welfare disparities: the case of the European Union
The regional welfare distribution in the European Union between 1993 and 1998 is examined, using several complementary methodologies. The results obtained show a reduction in regional welfare disparities over the period analysed. It is worth noting, in this respect, however, that regional productivity differences prove to be the main determinant behind observed welfare inequality in the European context. Moreover, there has also been a decline in regional bipolarization over the six-year contemplated, while the degree of observed intradistributional mobility is relatively low. The empirical evidence presented, nevertheless, reveals the importance of variables such as the national component, the spatial location, the regional productive structure or the percentage of GDP devoted to investment or to R&D expenditure, in accounting for the dynamics of the distribution under analysis.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfo Maza & Jose Villaverde, 2004. "Regional disparities in the EU: mobility and polarization," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(8), pages 517-522.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1423-1436.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1998. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," ERSA conference papers ersa98p462, European Regional Science Association.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1997. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," Working Paper CRENoS 199705, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Carlos Gil & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapun, 2005. "Regional inequality in the European Union: Does industry mix matter?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 679-697.
- Michael Kremer & Alexei Onatski & James Stock, 2001.
"Searching for Prosperity,"
NBER Working Papers
8250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kremer, Michael & Onatski, Alexei & Stock, James, 2001. "Searching for prosperity," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 275-303, December.
- T. Mora, 2004. "Role of mobility in evolution of disparities: European regions evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 325-328.
- Juan Antonio Duro Moreno, 2001. "Cross-country inequalities in aggregate welfare: some evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 403-406.
- Esteban, J. & Gradin, C. & Ray, D., 1999. "Extension of a Measure of Polarization, with an Application to the Income Distribution of Five OECD Countries," Papers 24, El Instituto de Estudios Economicos de Galicia Pedro Barrie de la Maza.
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Dalgaard, Carl-Johan & Vastrup, Jacob, 2001. "On the measurement of [sigma]-convergence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 283-287, February.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Differences in Needs and Assessment of Income Distributions," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 77-124, April.
- R. Paci, 1996.
"More similar and less equal. Economic growth in the European regions,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199609, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci, 1997. "More similar and less equal: Economic growth in the European regions," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(4), pages 609-634, December.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Davies, J. B. & Shorrocks, A. F., 1989. "Optimal grouping of income and wealth data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-108, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:37:y:2005:i:12:p:1423-1437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.