Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers: are nonparametrics a viable alternative?
A review of recent literature reveals the development of several deterministic non-parametric (DNP) tests of market power. The performance of selected DNP market power tests is ascertained to determine their usefulness as an alternative to data-hungry parametric market power tests. This assessment is carried out through implementation of Monte Carlo experiments using data sets from ten known market structures. Only two of the six DNP tests appear able to satisfactorily identify market power.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 20 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Hanoch, Giora & Rothschild, Michael, 1972. "Testing the Assumptions of Production Theory: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 256-75, March-Apr.
- Cox, Thomas L & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1990. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Productivity: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(4), pages 449-64.
- Raper, Kellie Curry & Love, H. Alan & Shumway, C. Richard, 1998. "Distinguishing The Source Of Market Power: An Application To Cigarette Manufacturing," Faculty Paper Series 24021, Texas A&M University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L, 1990. "A Non-parametric Analysis of Productivity: The Case of U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 450-64, June.
- H. Alan Love & C. Richard Shumway, 1994. "Nonparametric Tests for Monopsonistic Market Power Exertion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1156-1162.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677104 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kellie Curry Raper & H. Alan Love & C. Richard Shumway, 2000. "Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 225-252.
- Paul J. Driscoll & S. Murthy Kambhampaty & Wayne D. Purcell, 1997. "Nonparametric Tests of Profit Maximization in Oligopoly with Application to the Beef Packing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 872-879.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-97, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:20:p:2265-2274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.