Nonstructural And Statistical Nonparametric Market Power Tests: An Empirical Investigation
We use Monte Carlo experiments to assess the accuracy of two nonstructural and two statistical nonparametric market power tests. We implement these monopoly and monopsony market power tests using data from ten known market structures. The objective is to determine which test is most able to distinguish between market structures. The statistical nonparametric market power tests appear to be promising.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raper, Kellie Curry & Love, H. Alan & Shumway, C. Richard, 1998. "Distinguishing The Source Of Market Power: An Application To Cigarette Manufacturing," Faculty Paper Series 24021, Texas A&M University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Hyde, Charles & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1993. "Can market power be estimated?," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6d7127mr, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Varian, Hal R., 1985. "Non-parametric analysis of optimizing behavior with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 445-458.
- Lambert, David K., 1994. "Technological Change In Meat And Poultry-Packing And Processing," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Paul J. Driscoll & S. Murthy Kambhampaty & Wayne D. Purcell, 1997. "Nonparametric Tests of Profit Maximization in Oligopoly with Application to the Beef Packing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 872-879.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677104 is not listed on IDEAS
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1979. "Testing price taking behavior," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 283-294, February.
- Varian, Hal R., 1982. "Non-parametric methods in demand analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 23-29.
- Chris Fawson & C. Richard Shumway, 1988. "A Nonparametric Investigation of Agricultural Production Behavior for U.S. Subregions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 311-317.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1985. "Testing Hypotheses about Firm Behavior in the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 586-98, June.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Sullivan, Daniel, 1987. "Nonparametric Tests of Market Structure: An Application to the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 483-98, June.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Yatchew, Adonis J., 1985. "Non-parametric hypothesis testing procedures and applications to demand analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 149-169.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.