An empirical analysis of productivity growth and industrial concentration in us manufacturing
This manuscript focuses on the productivity-industrial concentration relationship in the US manufacturing industries, while accounting for external and internal sources of knowledge. It is found that there is a critical level of industrial concentration beyond which its relationship with productivity growth becomes negative. Results suggest that static welfare losses of increasing concentration in manufacturing industries can be offset by welfare gains from productivity growth.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smulders, J.A. & van de Klundert, T.C.M.J., 1995.
"Imperfect competition, concentration and growth with firm-specific R&D,"
Other publications TiSEM
3287368d-bf5d-421a-91c1-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Smulders, Sjak & van de Klundert, Theo, 1995. "Imperfect competition, concentration and growth with firm-specific R & D," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 139-160, January.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1995.
"Sunk Costs, Market Structure, and Growth,"
95-34, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Gort, Michael & Sung, Nakil, 1999. "Competition and Productivity Growth: The Case of the U.S. Telephone Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 678-91, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:1:p:1-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.