North American tomato market: a spatial equilibrium perspective
This paper studies the North American tomato market in a world market perspective. For this purpose a spatial equilibrium model with endogenous prices is constructed and solved by quadratic mathematical programming method. Six scenarios involving the impacts from transportation costs, tariffs, and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) were modelled. The solutions illustrate their impacts on production, consumption, trade flows, prices, and net social welfare. Due to NAFTA, Mexico became the main tomato exporter to the USA.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl H. Nelson & Bruce A. McCarl, 1984. "Including Imperfect Competition in Spatial Equilibrium Models," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(1), pages 55-70, 03.
- Tsunemasa Kawaguchi & Nobuhiro Suzuki & Harry M. Kaiser, 1997. "A Spatial Equilibrium Model for Imperfectly Competitive Milk Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 851-859.
- Kennedy, P. Lynn & Atici, Cemal, 1998. "A Sectoral Analysis of Agricultural Trade Liberalization," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 277-284, December.
- Kennedy, P. Lynn & Atici, Cemal, 1998. "A Sectoral Analysis Of Agricultural Trade Liberalization," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), December.
- Wigle, R.M., 1991. "Transportation Costs in Regional Models of Foreign Trade: An Application to Canada-U.S. Trade," Working Papers 91142, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Kennedy, P. Lynn & Hughes, Karol W., 1998. "Welfare Effects Of Agricultural Trading Blocs: The Simulation Of A North American Customs Union," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:3:p:315-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.