Economic variables and stock market returns: evidence from the Athens stock exchange
This research examines the short run dynamic adjustments and the long run equilibrium relationships between selected macroeconomic variables, trading volume and stock returns in the emerging Greek stock market during the period 1990 to 1999. Empirical results show that short run and long run equilibrium relationship exists between inflation, money supply and trading volume and the stock prices in the Athens stock exchange. No short run or long run equilibrium relationship is found between the exchange rates and stock prices. The results of this research are consistent with the theoretical arguments and practical developments that occurred in the Greek stock markets during the sample period. The results also imply that the ASE is informationally inefficient because publicly available information on macroeconomic variables and trading volumes can be potentially used in predicting stock prices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon, 1976. "The "Fisher Effect" for Risky Assets: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 447-58, May.
- Silvapulle, Param & Choi, Jong-Seo, 1999. "Testing for linear and nonlinear granger causality in the stock price-volume relation: Korean evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 59-76.
- Sangyong Joo, 2000. "Stock returns and inflation: a covariance decomposition," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 233-237.
- Pierre Siklos & Ben Kwok, 1999. "Stock returns and inflation: a new test of competing hypotheses," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 567-581.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2002. "Money Supply and the Informational Efficiency of the Stock Market in Korea: Evidence from an Alternative Methodology," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 517-526.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Mansor H. Ibrahim & Hassanuddeen Aziz, 2003. "Macroeconomic variables and the Malaysian equity market: A view through rolling subsamples," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 6-27, January.
- E. Dockery & M. G. Kavussanos, 1996. "Testing the efficient market hypothesis using panel data, with application to the Athens stock market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 121-123.
- Chatrath, Arjun & Ramchander, Sanjay & Song, Frank, 1996.
"Stock prices, inflation and output: Evidence from India,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 237-245.
- Arjun Chatrath & Sanjay Ramchander & Frank Song, 1997. "Stock prices, inflation and output: evidence from India," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 439-445.
- Saatcioglu, Kemal & Starks, Laura T., 1998. "The stock price-volume relationship in emerging stock markets: the case of Latin America," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 215-225, June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Coate, Douglas & VanderHoff, James, 1986. "Stock Returns, Inflation, and Real Output," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(4), pages 555-61, October.
- Basci, Erdem & Ozyildirim, Suheyla & Aydogan, Kursat, 1996. "A note on price-volume dynamics in an emerging stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 389-400, March.
- Robert A. Pari & Son-Nan Chen, 1984. "An Empirical Test Of The Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 7(2), pages 121-130, 06.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Issam Abdalla & Victor Murinde, 1997. "Exchange rate and stock price interactions in emerging financial markets: evidence on India, Korea, Pakistan and the Philippines," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 25-35.
- Nikitas Niarchos & Christos Alexakis, 1998. "Stock market prices, 'causality' and efficiency: evidence from the Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 167-174.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:16:y:2006:i:13:p:993-1005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.