Price limits and overreaction in the Athens stock exchange
In this paper the phenomenon of short-term overreaction and the existence of price limits on the Athens Stock Exchange (ASE) are examined. An 8% price limit was imposed in August 1992 and remained in place until February 2000. The sample consists of 114 shares traded on the ASE for the period 1995-1998. An event study methodology is used in which the event is defined as an increase or decrease in the stock price that activates the price limit for one, two or three days. The findings confirm the occurrence of short-term overreactions on the ASE during the period under investigation.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher K. Ma & Ramesh P. Rao & R. Stephen Sears, 1989.
"Limit moves and price resolution: The case of the treasury bond futures market,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 321-335, 08.
- Ma, C.K. & Rao, R.P. & Sears, R.S., 1988. "Limit Moves And Price Resolution: The Case Of The Treasury Bond Futures Markets," Papers 177, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Kim, Kenneth & Rhee, S Ghon, 1997. " Price Limit Performance: Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 885-99, June.
- Kate Phylaktis & Manolis Kavussanos & Gikas Manalis, 1999. "Price Limits and Stock Market Volatility in the Athens Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(1), pages 69-84.
- Carl R. Chen & David A. Sauer, 1997. "Is Stock Market Overreaction Persistent Over Time?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 51-66.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard H, 1987. " Further Evidence on Investor Overreaction and Stock Market Seasonalit y," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 557-81, July.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:1:p:53-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.