Do high-tech stock prices revert to their 'fundamental' value?
By assuming that fundamentals matter, this article builds a discounted cash flow (DCF) model (which is assumed to be commonly used by fundamentalists) where the determination of the fundamental is affected by variables proxying for the unobserved firm quality and for the value of its real option for expansion. It finds on a sample of high-tech stocks that the cross-sectional distance from the fundamental is significantly affected by chartists' variables measuring stock momentum. It also tests whether stock returns are significantly affected by lagged deviations from the DCF fundamental value. Finding evidence of both 'reversion to the DCF fundamental' and insider trading (or delays in the adjustment of publicly available information), since negative deviations from the fundamental positively affect future stock returns but are, in the meantime, significantly affected by short-term future changes in fundamentals.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- De Long, J. Bradford & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Waldmann, Robert J., 1990.
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
3725552, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey & Keim, Donald B & Westerfield, Randolph, 1989. " Earnings Yields, Market Values, and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 135-48, March.
- H. Kent Baker & Gary E. Powell & Daniel G. Weaver, 1999. "Does NYSE Listing Affect Firm Visibility?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 28(2), Summer.
- Bakera, H. Kent & Powell, Gary E. & Weaver, Daniel G., 1999. "The visibility effects of Amex listing," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 341-361.
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996.
"On the choice between sample selection and two-part models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992. "On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models," RCER Working Papers 337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 2000.
"Forecasting Profitability and Earnings,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(2), pages 161-75, April.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Forecasting Profitability and Earnings," CRSP working papers 456, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Forecasting Profitability and Earnings," CRSP working papers 358, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Allen, Helen & Taylor, Mark P, 1990. "Charts, Noise and Fundamentals in the London Foreign Exchange Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 49-59, Supplemen.
- Franke, Reiner & Sethi, Rajiv, 1998. "Cautious trend-seeking and complex asset price dynamics," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1972. "The Valuation of Option Contracts and a Test of Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 399-417, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:7:p:461-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.