Time preference, international migration, and social security
This paper analyzes both the formation of long-run migration incentives and the consequences of a regime change from "autarky" to "free migration" in an overlapping-generations framework with two countries. Under autarky the countries may differ with respect to their aggregate savings rate or with respect to their pension-wage ratio. It is shown that an individual prefers to live in a country where the capital-labor ratio is close to the Golden Rule level and where his characteristics are relatively scarce. Both the migration incentives and the consequences of free migration are determined by these two effects.
Volume (Year): 13 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Note:||Received: 2 March 1998/Accepted: 10 February 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/population/journal/148/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Pierre Vidal & Philippe Michel & Bertrand Crettez, 1996.
"Time preference and labour migration in an OLG model with land and capital,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(4), pages 387-403.
- CRETTEZ , Bertrand & MICHEL , Philippe & VIDAL , Jean-Pierre, 1995. "Time Preference and Labour Migration in an OLG Model with Land and Capital," CORE Discussion Papers 1995046, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Galor, Oded & Stark, Oded, 1991. "The Impact of Differences in the Levels of Technology on International Labor Migration," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 4(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Scholten, Ulrich & Thum, Marcel, 1996. "Public Pensions and Immigration Policy in a Democracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(3-4), pages 347-361, June.
- Galor, Oded, 1986. "Time preference and international labor migration," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Stefan Homburg & Wolfram Richter, 1993. "Harmonizing public debt and public pension schemes in the European community," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 51-63, December.
- Stefan Homburg & Wolfram Richter, 1993. "Harmonizing public debt and public pension schemes in the European community," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 51-63, December.
- Kondo, Hitoshi, 1989. "International Factor Mobility and Production Technology," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 2(4), pages 281-299. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)