Time preference, international migration, and social security
This paper analyzes both the formation of long-run migration incentives and the consequences of a regime change from "autarky" to "free migration" in an overlapping-generations framework with two countries. Under autarky the countries may differ with respect to their aggregate savings rate or with respect to their pension-wage ratio. It is shown that an individual prefers to live in a country where the capital-labor ratio is close to the Golden Rule level and where his characteristics are relatively scarce. Both the migration incentives and the consequences of free migration are determined by these two effects.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Note:||Received: 2 March 1998/Accepted: 10 February 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/population/journal/148/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Homburg & Wolfram Richter, 1993.
"Harmonizing public debt and public pension schemes in the European community,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 51-63, December.
- Stefan Homburg & Wolfram Richter, 1993. "Harmonizing public debt and public pension schemes in the European community," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 51-63, December.
- Scholten, Ulrich & Thum, Marcel, 1996. "Public Pensions and Immigration Policy in a Democracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(3-4), pages 347-361, June.
- Kondo, Hitoshi, 1989. "International Factor Mobility and Production Technology," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 2(4), pages 281-299.
- CRETTEZ , Bertrand & MICHEL , Philippe & VIDAL , Jean-Pierre, 1995.
"Time Preference and Labour Migration in an OLG Model with Land and Capital,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995046, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Pierre Vidal & Philippe Michel & Bertrand Crettez, 1996. "Time preference and labour migration in an OLG model with land and capital," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(4), pages 387-403.
- Galor, Oded & Stark, Oded, 1991. "The Impact of Differences in the Levels of Technology on International Labor Migration," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 4(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Galor, Oded, 1986. "Time preference and international labor migration," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-20, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jopoec:v:13:y:2000:i:1:p:127-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.