Increasing returns, entrepreneurship and imperfect competition
We study a simple bilateral oligopoly model in which individual agents, who are initially endowed with capital, decide sequentially (i) whether they want to act as producers (entrepreneurs) or as capital lenders (rentiers) and, then (ii) which quantity of capital they would like to borrow or lend, though exchange of capital units against units of the produced good. Production takes place under increasing returns to scale. We show the existence of "natural equilibria", at which wealthier capital owners become entrepreneurs while the remaining ones decide to be rentiers. We also study the efficiency of equilibria which is shown to increase by replication of the economy, but sometimes to decrease as a consequence of wealth redistribution.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bloch, Francis & Ferrer, Helene, 2001. "Trade Fragmentation and Coordination in Strategic Market Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 301-316, November.
- Gabszewicz, J. & Michel, P., 1992.
"Oligopoly Equilibria in Exchange Economies,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
92.26, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & MICHEL, Philippe, 1992. "Oligopoly equilibria in exchange economies," CORE Discussion Papers 1992047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Michel, P., "undated". "Oligopoly equilibrium in exchange economies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1265, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990.
"A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-294, April.
- Holmes, T.J. & Schmitz, J.A., 1988. "A Theory Of Enterpreneurship And Its Application To The Study Of Business Transfers," Working papers 8827, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1983. "Taxation and risk taking in general equilibrium models with free entry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 159-181, July.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994.
"Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 334-347, Summer.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Joulfaian, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1992. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," Papers 129, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claude d'Aspremont & Alexis Jacquemin & Jean Jaskold Gabszewicz & John A. Weymark, 1983.
"On the Stability of Collusive Price Leadership,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Moresi, Serge, 1998. "Optimal taxation and firm formation:: A model of asymmetric information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1525-1551, September.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-535, June.
- Blanchflower, David G & Meyer, Bruce D, 1994. "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Young Self-Employed in Australia and the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, February.
- William M. Gentry & R. Glenn Hubbard, 2000. "Entrepreneurship and Household Saving," NBER Working Papers 7894, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated".
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel, 1995. "A general equilibrium theory of firm formation based on individual unobservable skills," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1303-1319, August.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-748, August.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994.
"Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993. "Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:30:y:2007:i:1:p:1-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.