Structural Differentiation and Its Implications—Core/Periphery Structure of the Technological Network
By applying a network analytical approach, this paper examines the position of technological network in shaping the contribution of a technology in technological development. Between the core and the periphery of the technological network structure, we argue that technologies which occupy a core position of network are in propensity for exploitation in succeeding or derivative technologies. On the contrary, technologies located in periphery position of network are likely to lead to seminal technologies. We empirically test the patent data of insurance business methods and discuss the technological implications of the results. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2012
Volume (Year): 3 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13132|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Verspagen,Bart, 2005.
"Mapping Technological Trajectories as Patent Citation Networks. A Study on the History of Fuel Cell Research,"
019, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bart Verspagen, 2007. "Mapping Technological Trajectories As Patent Citation Networks: A Study On The History Of Fuel Cell Research," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 93-115.
- Verspagen, B., 2005. "Mapping Technological Trajectories as Patent Citation Networks. A Study on the History of Fuel Cell Research," Working Papers 05.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- DUGUET Emmanuel & MacGARVIE Megan, 2004.
"How Well Do Patent Citations Measure Flows of Technology? Evidence from French Innovation Surveys,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Emmanuel Duguet & Megan MacGarvie, 2005. "How well do patent citations measure flows of technology? Evidence from French innovation surveys," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 375-393.
- Rank, Charlotte & Rank, Olaf & Wald, Andreas, 2006. "Integrated Versus Core-Periphery Structures in Regional Biotechnology Networks," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 73-85, February.
- Vanhaverbeke, W.P.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Beerkens, B.E. & Duijsters, G.M., 2009.
"The role of alliance network redundancy in the creation of core and non-core technologies,"
Other publications TiSEM
7050ddec-659b-40f2-aca6-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Wim Vanhaverbeke & Victor Gilsing & Bonnie Beerkens & Geert Duysters, 2009. "The Role of Alliance Network Redundancy in the Creation of Core and Non-core Technologies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 215-244, 03.
- Roberto Fontana & Alessandro Nuvolari & Bart Verspagen, 2009.
"Mapping technological trajectories as patent citation networks. An application to data communication standards,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 311-336.
- Roberto Fontana & Alessandro Nuvolari & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "Mapping Technological Trajectories as Patent Citation Networks. An application to Data Communication Standards," SPRU Working Paper Series 166, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Mina, A. & Ramlogan, R. & Tampubolon, G. & Metcalfe, J.S., 2007. "Mapping evolutionary trajectories: Applications to the growth and transformation of medical knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 789-806, June.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2004.
"The Network of Innovators in Jena: An Application of Social Network Analysis,"
Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft
04/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Cantner, Uwe & Graf, Holger, 2006. "The network of innovators in Jena: An application of social network analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 463-480, May.
- Castiglionesi, F. & Navarro, N., 2007. "Optimal Fragile Financial Networks," Discussion Paper 2007-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peter Thompson, 2006. "Patent Citations and the Geography of Knowledge Spillovers: Evidence from Inventor- and Examiner-added Citations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 383-388, May.
- von Wartburg, Iwan & Teichert, Thorsten & Rost, Katja, 2005. "Inventive progress measured by multi-stage patent citation analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1591-1607, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jknowl:v:3:y:2012:i:4:p:327-342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.