Do patent citations indicate knowledge linkage? The evidence from text similarities between patents and their citations
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hegde, Deepak & Sampat, Bhaven, 2009. "Examiner citations, applicant citations, and the private value of patents," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 287-289, December.
- Juan Alcácer & Michelle Gittelman, 2006. "Patent Citations as a Measure of Knowledge Flows: The Influence of Examiner Citations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 774-779, November.
- Criscuolo, Paola & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "Does it matter where patent citations come from? Inventor vs. examiner citations in European patents," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1892-1908, December.
- Ryan Lampe, 2012. "Strategic Citation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 320-333, February.
- Epicoco, Marianna, 2013.
"Knowledge patterns and sources of leadership: Mapping the semiconductor miniaturization trajectory,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 180-195.
- Marianna EPICOCO (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113 & DSLW, University of Milan), 2012. "Knowledge patterns and sources of leadership: mapping the semiconductor miniaturization trajectory," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Hu, Albert G. Z. & Jaffe, Adam B., 2003.
"Patent citations and international knowledge flow: the cases of Korea and Taiwan,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-880, June.
- Albert G.Z. Hu & Adam B. Jaffe, 2001. "Patent Citations and International Knowledge Flow: The Cases of Korea and Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 8528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Narin, Francis & Olivastro, Dominic, 1992. "Status report: Linkage between technology and science," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 237-249, June.
- Rui Li & Tamy Chambers & Ying Ding & Guo Zhang & Liansheng Meng, 2014. "Patent citation analysis: Calculating science linkage based on citing motivation," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 65(5), pages 1007-1017, May.
- Alcácer, Juan & Gittelman, Michelle & Sampat, Bhaven, 2009. "Applicant and examiner citations in U.S. patents: An overview and analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 415-427, March.
- Albert, M. B. & Avery, D. & Narin, F. & McAllister, P., 1991. "Direct validation of citation counts as indicators of industrially important patents," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 251-259, June.
- von Wartburg, Iwan & Teichert, Thorsten & Rost, Katja, 2005. "Inventive progress measured by multi-stage patent citation analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1591-1607, December.
- Guo Zhang & Ying Ding & Staša Milojević, 2013. "Citation content analysis (CCA): A framework for syntactic and semantic analysis of citation content," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 64(7), pages 1490-1503, July.
- Ying Ding & Guo Zhang & Tamy Chambers & Min Song & Xiaolong Wang & Chengxiang Zhai, 2014. "Content-based citation analysis: The next generation of citation analysis," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 65(9), pages 1820-1833, September.
- Martinelli, Arianna, 2012.
"An emerging paradigm or just another trajectory? Understanding the nature of technological changes using engineering heuristics in the telecommunications switching industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 414-429.
- Arianna Martinelli, 2011. "An emerging paradigm or just another trajectory? Understanding the nature of technological changes using engineering heuristics in the telecommunications switching industry," LEM Papers Series 2011/05, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Yuxian Liu & Ronald Rousseau, 2010. "Knowledge diffusion through publications and citations: A case study using ESI-fields as unit of diffusion," Journal of the Association for Information Science & Technology, Association for Information Science & Technology, vol. 61(2), pages 340-351, February.
- Francis Narin & Kimberly S Hamilton & Dominic Olivastro, 1995. "Linkage between agency-supported research and patented industrial technology," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 183-187, December.
- Narin, Francis & Hamilton, Kimberly S. & Olivastro, Dominic, 1997. "The increasing linkage between U.S. technology and public science," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 317-330, October.
- Carpenter, Mark P. & Narin, Francis, 1983. "Validation study: Patent citations as indicators of science and foreign dependence," World Patent Information, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 180-185.
- Bhaven N. Sampat, 2010. "When Do Applicants Search for Prior Art?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(2), pages 399-416, May.
- Edward Cureton, 1956. "Rank-biserial correlation," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 21(3), pages 287-290, September.
- AndrÃ¡s Vargha & Harold D. Delaney, 2000. "A Critique and Improvement of the CL Common Language Effect Size Statistics of McGraw and Wong," Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, , vol. 25(2), pages 101-132, June.
- Fattori, Michele & Pedrazzi, Giorgio & Turra, Roberta, 2003. "Text mining applied to patent mapping: a practical business case," World Patent Information, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 335-342, December.
- Nelson, Andrew J., 2009. "Measuring knowledge spillovers: What patents, licenses and publications reveal about innovation diffusion," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 994-1005, July.
- Engelsman, E. C. & van Raan, A. F. J., 1994. "A patent-based cartography of technology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Cotropia, Christopher A. & Lemley, Mark A. & Sampat, Bhaven, 2013. "Do applicant patent citations matter?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 844-854.
- Mina, A. & Ramlogan, R. & Tampubolon, G. & Metcalfe, J.S., 2007. "Mapping evolutionary trajectories: Applications to the growth and transformation of medical knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 789-806, June.
- Calvin Weng & Tugrul Daim, 2012. "Structural Differentiation and Its Implications—Core/Periphery Structure of the Technological Network," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 3(4), pages 327-342, December.
- Manuel Trajtenberg & Adam B. Jaffe & Michael S. Fogarty, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers and Patent Citations: Evidence from a Survey of Inventors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 215-218, May.
- Ahlgren, Per & Colliander, Cristian, 2009. "Document–document similarity approaches and science mapping: Experimental comparison of five approaches," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 49-63.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Mark Schankerman, 2004. "Patent Quality and Research Productivity: Measuring Innovation with Multiple Indicators," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(495), pages 441-465, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:tefoso:v:125:y:2017:i:c:p:154-165 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsPatent citation; Knowledge linkage; Text similarity; Citing-cited patent pairs; Non-citing-cited patent pairs; Examiner citation; Applicant citation;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:infome:v:11:y:2017:i:1:p:63-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/joi .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.