A voluntary deductible in health insurance: the more years you opt for it, the lower your premium?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Michael Gerfin & Boris Kaiser & Christian Schmid, 2015.
"Healthcare Demand in the Presence of Discrete Price Changes,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(9), pages 1164-1177, September.
- Gerfin, M. & Kaiser, B. & Schmid, C., 2014. "Health Care Demand in the Presence of Discrete Price Changes," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 14/22, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Michael Gerfin & Boris Kaiser & Christian Schmid, 2014. "Health Care Demand in the Presence of Discrete Price Changes," Diskussionsschriften dp1403, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Buchner, Florian & Goepffarth, Dirk & Wasem, Juergen, 2013. "The new risk adjustment formula in Germany: Implementation and first experiences," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 253-262.
- Mosca, I. & Schut-Welkzijn, A., 2008. "Choice determinants of the mobility in the Dutch health insurance market," Other publications TiSEM 6908cbf8-9b72-47ff-98ee-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Trottmann, Maria & Zweifel, Peter & Beck, Konstantin, 2012. "Supply-side and demand-side cost sharing in deregulated social health insurance: Which is more effective?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 231-242.
- David M. Cutler & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1998.
"Adverse Selection in Health Insurance,"
NBER Chapters,in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 1, pages 1-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pauly, Mark V, 1986. "Taxation, Health Insurance, and Market Failure in the Medical Economy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 629-675, June.
- Michael Gerfin & Martin Schellhorn, 2006.
"Nonparametric bounds on the effect of deductibles in health care insurance on doctor visits - Swiss evidence,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 1011-1020.
- Gerfin, Michael & Schellhorn, Martin, 2005. "Nonparametric Bounds on the Effect of Deductibles in Health Care Insurance on Doctor Visits – Swiss Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 1616, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Ilaria Mosca & Anoushka Schut-Welkzijn, 2008. "Choice determinants of the mobility in the Dutch health insurance market," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 9(3), pages 261-264, August.
- Marquis, M. Susan, 1992. "Adverse selection with a multiple choice among health insurance plans: A simulation analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 129-151, August.
- Shmueli, Amir & Stam, Piet & Wasem, Jürgen & Trottmann, Maria, 2015. "Managed care in four managed competition OECD health systems," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 119(7), pages 860-873.
- R. Kleef & K. Beck & W. Ven & R. Vliet, 2007. "Does risk equalization reduce the viability of voluntary deductibles?," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 43-58, March.
- Wolfe, John R. & Goddeeris, John H., 1991. "Adverse selection, moral hazard, and wealth effects in the medigap insurance market," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-459.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph Stiglitz, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(4), pages 629-649.
- Marquis, M Susan & Phelps, Charles E, 1987. "Price Elasticity and Adverse Selection in the Demand for Supplementary Health Insurance," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 299-313, April.
- van Kleef, R.C. & Beck, K. & van de Ven, W.P.M.M. & van Vliet, R.C.J.A., 2008. "Risk equalization and voluntary deductibles: A complex interaction," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 427-443, March.
- Zweifel, Peter, 1987. "Bonus systems in health insurance: a microeconomic analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 273-288, April.
- Wilson, Charles, 1977. "A model of insurance markets with incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 167-207, December.
- Neudeck, Werner & Podczeck, Konrad, 1996. "Adverse selection and regulation in health insurance markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 387-408, August.
- Richard C. van Kleef & Wynand P. M. M. van de Ven & René C. J. A. van Vliet, 2006. "A Voluntary Deductible in Social Health Insurance with Risk Equalization: "Community-Rated or Risk-Rated Premium Rebate?"," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(3), pages 529-550.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
More about this item
KeywordsAdverse selection; Health insurance; Moral hazard; Premium; Voluntary deductibles;
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I13 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Insurance, Public and Private
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:eujhec:v:18:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10198-016-0767-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Mallaigh Nolan). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.