Has Trend Productivity Growth Increased in Canada?
Trend productivity growth is a crucial determinant of future living standards as well as fiscal balances. In this article, Benoit Robidoux and Bing-Sun Wong from Finance Canada examine the issue of whether trend productivity growth has increased in Canada and conclude that in fact it has. If correct, this is indeed a very positive development for Canadians. They point out that business sector output per hour growth in Canada accelerated 0.9 percentage points from 1.1 per cent per year in the 1988-1996 period to 2.0 per cent in 1996-2001, virtually the same acceleration as in the United States. The authors find that Canada experienced a greater pick-up in total factor productivity growth than the United States. Increased production and use of information and communications technologies (ICTs) accounted for more of the U.S. productivity growth acceleration.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- anonymous, 2000. "In this issue ..," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages i-ii.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2006.
"Projecting Productivity Growth: Lessons from the US Growth Resurgence,"
in: The New Economy and Beyond, chapter 2
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2002. "Projecting productivity growth: lessons from the U.S. growth resurgence," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 1-13.
- Ho, Mun & Jorgenson, Dale & Stiroh, Kevin, 2002. "Projecting Productivity Growth: Lessons from the U.S. Growth Resurgence," Discussion Papers dp-02-42, Resources For the Future.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000.
"Raising the Speed Limit: US Economic Growth in the Information Age,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
261, OECD Publishing.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000. "Raising the Speed Limit: U.S. Economic Growth in the Information Age," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 125-236.
- anonymous, 2000. "In this issue ..," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages v-vii.
- Baldwin, John R. & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2002. "Productivity Growth in Canada," Productivity Growth in Canada, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis, number stcb6e, December.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2003. "Lessons for Canada from the U.S. Growth Resurgence," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 6, pages 3-18, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:6:y:2003:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.