Technical Efficiency of Rice-Producing Households in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam
Technical Efficiency (TE) is an estimation of the ability of a household to produce the maximum output with the given inputs. It is usually estimated by using the data envelopment analysis (DEA) and stochastic frontier analysis (SFA). Data collected from 261 rice-farming households in the Mekong Delta were used in the empirical analysis. Results show that the average TE among the surveyed households is above 76 percent in both the Constant (CRS) and the Variable Returns to Scale (VRS). The average scale efficiency score for these rice-producing households is nearly one. The determinants of the quantity of rice or yields and of the TE for the households are significantly associated with some variables such as the plot size, seed, and hired labor cost. However, technical inefficiency significantly depends on the farmersâ€™ farming experience and adoption of advanced farming practices.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: College 4031, Laguna, Philippines|
Phone: (63-49) 536-2365
Fax: (63-49) 536-7097
Web page: http://www.searca.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard T. Yao & Gerald E. Shively, 2007. "Technical Change and Productive Efficiency: Irrigated Rice in the Philippines ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 155-168, 06.
- Den, Do Thi & Ancev, Tihomir & Harris, Michael, 2007. "Technical Efficiency of Prawn Farms in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10351, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tijani, A.A., 2006. "Analysis of the technical efficiency of rice farms in Ijesha Land of Osun State, Nigeria," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 45(2), pages -, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Tom Kompas, 2004. "Market reform, productivity and efficiency in Vietnamese rice production," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec04-4, International and Development Economics.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Minot, Nicholas, 2003. "Income Diversification And Poverty Reduction In The Northern Uplands Of Vietnam," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22029, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chen, Yao & Iqbal Ali, Agha, 2002. "Output-input ratio analysis and DEA frontier," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(3), pages 476-479, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sag:seajad:v:6:y:2009:i:2:p:35-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Avril DG. Madrid)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.