University Support in the Development of Regional Entrepreneurial Activity: An Exploratory Study from Chile
The theoretical literature has explored the potential benefits of the interaction between universities and entrepreneurs and there is some empirical evidence that supports the positive impact of entrepreneurship education in the subsequent propensity to become an entrepreneur. The purpose of this paper is study if higher education for entrepreneurship is reflected in entrepreneurship activities at the regional level. Replicating the methodology used by Coduras, Urban, Rojas and Martínez (2008) in Spain, we compare, in an exploratory way, the experience in Chile using data from the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM). The main results indicate that there is low interaction between entrepreneurs and universities and there is not enough impact to significantly affect entrepreneurial activity. Moreover, entrepreneurship education does not increase intentions to be an entrepreneur.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 26 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:14:y:2008:i:4:p:395-406 is not listed on IDEAS
- Micheal Fritsch & Christian Schwirten, 1999. "Enterprise-University Co-operation and the Role of Public Research Institutions in Regional Innovation Systems," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 69-83.
- André Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2005.
"The Effect of Entrepreneurial Activity on National Economic Growth,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 311-321, 02.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Martin Carree, 2005. "The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth," Scales Research Reports N200419, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Andre van Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, . "The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
- Mikael Lindahl & Alan B. Krueger, 2001.
"Education for Growth: Why and for Whom?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1101-1136, December.
- Bania, Neil & Eberts, Randall W & Fogarty, Michael S, 1993.
"Universities and the Startup of New Companies: Can We Generalize from Route 128 and Silicon Valley?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 761-66, November.
- Neil Bania & Randall W. Eberts & Michael S. Fogarty, . "Universities and the Startup of New Companies: Can We Generalize from Route 128 and Silicon Valley?," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles rwe1993, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- repec:gem:wpaper:1106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2005. "Does the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship hold for regions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1191-1202, October.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. "Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- José Amorós & Christian Felzensztein & Eli Gimmon, 2013.
"Entrepreneurial opportunities in peripheral versus core regions in Chile,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 119-139, January.
- Etzkowitz, Henry, 1998. "The norms of entrepreneurial science: cognitive effects of the new university-industry linkages," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 823-833, December.
- David Audretsch, 2004. "Sustaining Innovation and Growth: Public Policy Support for Entrepreneurship," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-191.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.