The Theory of Endogenous Optimum Currency Areas: A Critical Note - La teoria delle aree monetarie ottimali endogene: una nota critica
The paper critically considers the endogenous Optimum Currency Areas (or e-OCAs) theory, focussing initially on early studies having identified a relevant link between the creation of a monetary union and an upgrading of trade intensity between member countries, on the one hand, and the increase in trade flows and the similarity of their business cycles, on the other. Developments of this novel research domain are described, discovering new types of endogeneities both positive and negative, alongside some possible factors of exogeneity due to impact of institutional processes. Presently several elements of a satisfactory e-O CAs paradigm seem to be available, but the theory still lacks a much needed ripe relationship with the nascent reflections on optimal fiscal unions. - La nota considera in termini critici la teoria delle aree monetarie ottimali endogene, partendo dai primi studi che avevano messo in luce una relazione diretta fra la costituzione di un’unione monetaria e un aumento dei flussi commerciali fra paesi membri, da un lato, nonché fra il commercio reciproco e i co-movimenti dei loro cicli economici, dall’altro. Vengono anche descritti i recenti sviluppi di questo nuovo filone di ricerca, identificando altri tipi di endogeneità, con segni sia positivi, sia negativi, accanto ad alcuni possibili fattori di esogeneità dovuti ai processi istituzionali. Attualmente sembrano essere presenti molti elementi, in grado di dar vita a un nuovo paradigma interpretativo dell’endogeneità delle aree monetarie ottimali, per quanto sia ancora necessario completare il quadro con una riflessione matura che si estenda anche al caso dell’ottimalità delle unioni fiscali.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2004.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intra-industry Trade, and EMU Enlargement,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 1-12, 01.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2001. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intraindustry Trade, and EMU Enlargement," LICOS Discussion Papers 10601, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Richard Baldwin & Virginia DiNino & Lionel Fontagn� & Roberto A. De Santis & Daria Taglioni, 2008. "Study on the Impact of the Euro on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," European Economy - Economic Papers 321, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Rose, 2004.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & T. D. Stanley, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 347-365, 07.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 4341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Ernesto L�pez-C�rdova and Chris Meissner., 2000.
"Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C00-118, University of California at Berkeley.
- Christopher M. Meissner, 2003. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 344-353, March.
- Lopez-Cordova, J. Ernesto & Meissner, Chris, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt1b04r034, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Thierry Warin & Phanindra V. Wunnava & Hubert P. Janicki, 2009.
"Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 74-86, 02.
- Warin, Thierry & Wunnava, Phanindra V. & Janicki, Hubert, 2008. "Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory," IZA Discussion Papers 3739, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Optimum-Currency-Area Paradoxes," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 536-551, 08.
- Paul de Grauwe & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005.
"Endogeneities of Optimum Currency Areas: What brings Countries Sharing a Single Currency Closer together?,"
Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers)
29, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2005. "Endogeneities of optimum currency areas: what brings countries sharing a single currency closer together?," Working Paper Series 0468, European Central Bank.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2002.
"Self-Validating Optimum Currency Areas,"
NBER Working Papers
8783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolf, Nikolaus & Ritschl, Albrecht, 2003.
"Endogeneity of Currency Areas and Trade Blocs: Evidence from the Inter-War Period,"
2004,10, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Ritschl, Albrecht & Wolf, Nikolaus, 2003. "Endogeneity of Currency Areas and Trade Blocs: Evidence from the Inter-war Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 4112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "No Single Currency Regime is Right for All Countries or At All Times," NBER Working Papers 7338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam Koronowski, 2009. "Divergent business cycles as an effect of a monetary union," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 103-113, July.
- Lionel FontagnÃ© & Michael Freudenberg, 1999. "Endogenous Symmetry of Shocks in a Monetary Union," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 263-287, July.
- Emerson, Michael & Gros, Daniel & Italianer, Alexander & ,, 1992. "One Market, One Money: An Evaluation of the Potential Benefits and Costs of Forming an Economic and Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773245, March.
- Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2008. "European Economic and Monetary Integration, and the Optimum Currency Area Theory," European Economy - Economic Papers 302, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Sorensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963-1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110, November.
- Marc Flandreau & Mathilde Maurel, 2005. "Monetary Union, Trade Integration, and Business Cycles in 19th Century Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 135-152, April.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:ecoint:0640. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.