The Theory of Endogenous Optimum Currency Areas: A Critical Note - La teoria delle aree monetarie ottimali endogene: una nota critica
The paper critically considers the endogenous Optimum Currency Areas (or e-OCAs) theory, focussing initially on early studies having identified a relevant link between the creation of a monetary union and an upgrading of trade intensity between member countries, on the one hand, and the increase in trade flows and the similarity of their business cycles, on the other. Developments of this novel research domain are described, discovering new types of endogeneities both positive and negative, alongside some possible factors of exogeneity due to impact of institutional processes. Presently several elements of a satisfactory e-O CAs paradigm seem to be available, but the theory still lacks a much needed ripe relationship with the nascent reflections on optimal fiscal unions. - La nota considera in termini critici la teoria delle aree monetarie ottimali endogene, partendo dai primi studi che avevano messo in luce una relazione diretta fra la costituzione di un’unione monetaria e un aumento dei flussi commerciali fra paesi membri, da un lato, nonché fra il commercio reciproco e i co-movimenti dei loro cicli economici, dall’altro. Vengono anche descritti i recenti sviluppi di questo nuovo filone di ricerca, identificando altri tipi di endogeneità, con segni sia positivi, sia negativi, accanto ad alcuni possibili fattori di esogeneità dovuti ai processi istituzionali. Attualmente sembrano essere presenti molti elementi, in grado di dar vita a un nuovo paradigma interpretativo dell’endogeneità delle aree monetarie ottimali, per quanto sia ancora necessario completare il quadro con una riflessione matura che si estenda anche al caso dell’ottimalità delle unioni fiscali.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "No Single Currency Regime is Right for All Countries or At All Times," NBER Working Papers 7338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Optimum-Currency-Area Paradoxes," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 536-551, 08.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1997.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 134-49, January.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Flandreau & Mathilde Maurel, 2005. "Monetary Union, Trade Integration, and Business Cycles in 19th Century Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 135-152, April.
- Richard Baldwin & Virginia DiNino & Lionel Fontagn� & Roberto A. De Santis & Daria Taglioni, 2008. "Study on the Impact of the Euro on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," European Economy - Economic Papers 321, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2002.
"Self-validating optimum currency areas,"
152, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Warin, Thierry & Wunnava, Phanindra V. & Janicki, Hubert, 2008.
"Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3739, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thierry Warin & Phanindra V. Wunnava & Hubert P. Janicki, 2009. "Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 74-86, 02.
- Andrew Rose, 2004.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & T. D. Stanley, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 347-365, 07.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 4341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2001.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intraindustry Trade, and EMU Enlargement,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
10601, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2004. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria, Intra-industry Trade, and EMU Enlargement," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 1-12, 01.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:111:y:1996:i:4:p:1081-1110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher M. Meissner, 2003.
"Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 344-353, March.
- J. Ernesto L�pez-C�rdova and Chris Meissner., 2000. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C00-118, University of California at Berkeley.
- Lopez-Cordova, J. Ernesto & Meissner, Chris, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt1b04r034, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ritschl, Albrecht & Wolf, Nikolaus, 2003.
"Endogeneity of Currency Areas and Trade Blocs: Evidence from the Inter-war Period,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolf, Nikolaus & Ritschl, Albrecht, 2003. "Endogeneity of Currency Areas and Trade Blocs: Evidence from the Inter-War Period," Papers 2004,10, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Buti,Marco & Deroose,Servaas & Gaspar,Vitor & Martins,João Nogueira (ed.), 2010. "The Euro," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9789279098420, October.
- Lionel FontagnÃ© & Michael Freudenberg, 1999. "Endogenous Symmetry of Shocks in a Monetary Union," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 263-287, July.
- Adam Koronowski, 2009. "Divergent business cycles as an effect of a monetary union," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 103-113, July.
- Paul de Grauwe & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005.
"Endogeneities of Optimum Currency Areas: What brings Countries Sharing a Single Currency Closer together?,"
Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers)
29, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2005. "Endogeneities of optimum currency areas: what brings countries sharing a single currency closer together?," Working Paper Series 0468, European Central Bank.
- Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2008. "European Economic and Monetary Integration, and the Optimum Currency Area Theory," European Economy - Economic Papers 302, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Emerson, Michael & Gros, Daniel & Italianer, Alexander & ,, 1992. "One Market, One Money: An Evaluation of the Potential Benefits and Costs of Forming an Economic and Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773245.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:ecoint:0640. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.